2 Replies - 2393 Views - Last Post: 15 December 2011 - 06:00 PM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Generating Unique URL's For Each User

Posted 14 December 2011 - 11:24 PM

My background is in desktop applications development; I'm very new to web development, so please bear with me.

I'd like to generate a unique url for each user who signs up for my site in order to facilitate some sort of viral sharing. Users can share the url they are given, and each time someone signs up through a shared url, the sharer will get some sort of credit.

here's an example:

http://blog.forkly.c...ching-soon-form

I'm just looking to get an idea of some of the ways that something like this could be implemented. Mainly, how would one actually go about generating the unique URL's?

This post has been edited by R3cuRsioN: 14 December 2011 - 11:25 PM

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Generating Unique URL's For Each User

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Generating Unique URL's For Each User

Posted 15 December 2011 - 07:45 AM

Off the top of my head - at the time user signs up they are given a unique id number... when this number is part of a url your website will take that number, jump to the database, pull up what ever is needed, and then display that in some sort of php page.

Much like how facebook allows user names so you just put in facebook.com/username and it knows to take that user name, find the relevant data, push it into an html page, and display that.

Basically database and some php processing.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Re: Generating Unique URL's For Each User

Posted 15 December 2011 - 06:00 PM

This can be done using .htaccess. I'm not completely sure on how to do exactly what you want, though.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1