1 Replies - 1185 Views - Last Post: 11 January 2012 - 03:51 PM Rate Topic: -----

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Should I use Game Engines to learn to make 3D games or not?

Posted 11 January 2012 - 03:07 PM

HI, i am a software engineering student in his second-last year.

I am proficient with C,C++,C# and java programming languages, and being a student of engineering I have studied calculus, vectors etc in both 2D and 3D & various other mathematical, probability and statistical topics.

I have made several 2D games, my most recent being a Super Mario-like game with side-scrolling and multiple levels.

Due to my these small game projects,i have become really interested in making games.

So now i want to move ahead to learn to make games in 3D.

Now I know that there are several game engines available which can take care of rendering details and other "low-level" stuff for me...

My Question is:

1) Is it a good idea to learn to program everything yourself, from making 3D shapes, terrains (using polygons meshes) etc, to programming mechanism for collision detection, lighting etc, considering my motive is to learn how to make games in 3D (but am not too eager to get into the game industry quickly, want to build a solid foundation first)

Or could I do without these details & work on the abstraction-level which the game engines (like UDK) provide ??

3) If I should try to develop from scratch, then can anybody suggest which API to use: Direct3D or OpenGL?? (which i would be more comfortable with, in light of my above mentioned skills) & can anybody also give me references to some good books, reading materials, tutorials, etc to get me started?? (I wouldn't mind theory as long as it helps me make a sound foundation)

Many Thanx in advance (for even reading my question, i know it's lengthy... but i need a DETAILED answer... :D :D )

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Should I use Game Engines to learn to make 3D games or not?

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Re: Should I use Game Engines to learn to make 3D games or not?

Posted 11 January 2012 - 03:51 PM

View Postabdul121, on 11 January 2012 - 10:07 PM, said:

My Question is:

1) Is it a good idea to learn to program everything yourself, from making 3D shapes, terrains (using polygons meshes) etc, to programming mechanism for collision detection, lighting etc, considering my motive is to learn how to make games in 3D (but am not too eager to get into the game industry quickly, want to build a solid foundation first)

Or could I do without these details & work on the abstraction-level which the game engines (like UDK) provide ??

It really depends on how confident you feel your programming skill is, some prefer to use tools like UDK or whatever, and others like to attempt from scratch.

View Postabdul121, on 11 January 2012 - 10:07 PM, said:

3) If I should try to develop from scratch, then can anybody suggest which API to use: Direct3D or OpenGL?? (which i would be more comfortable with, in light of my above mentioned skills) & can anybody also give me references to some good books, reading materials, tutorials, etc to get me started?? (I wouldn't mind theory as long as it helps me make a sound foundation)

Many Thanx in advance (for even reading my question, i know it's lengthy... but i need a DETAILED answer... :D :D )

I started out writing 3D games straight away - completely skipping the 2D phase. I set myself the target after graduating computer science that if I couldn't make a 3D game then I didn't deserve to get into the industry. I used that drive to push me through the brick walls that everyone inevitably hits when they attempt that off-the-bat. I used Visual C++ 6 (because when I started my game that was the latest quality IDE available at the time), OpenGL for the graphics and DirectX for everything else.

Specific books? You need to do some research on that topic, as what is good for me might not be a good book for you. I am firm in the belief that nowhere will teach you how yto program games, you just have to have a go and see if it suits you.

Good luck. :)
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1