4 Replies - 1321 Views - Last Post: 19 January 2012 - 10:21 AM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Student new to software development! Need a little advice

Posted 17 January 2012 - 03:39 PM

Hey guys I have some questions about schooling and such. I'll start with some background.

I live in the southern metro of Minnesota. I am 22 years of age, almost 23. This is my second semester at a technical college. Currently I'm pursuing an a.a.s in software development. Since I'm only in my first semester I have not learned anything about coding, its mainly been learning basic, OS operations and networking.

I live with my girlfriend in a cheap small 1 br apartment. We both work full time and she is also going to school, but I'm a little more excited to get done and move out in the field, but my current full time job as a industrial painter/welder makes it really difficult to go to school full time, so I'm only able to take like half the credits I should be.

So my first question is how can i get more involved it development? I would like to start tinkering around but I have no idea where to start.

My other question is what kinda jobs should I be on the look out for? My girlfriend and I have decided that working my deadend job is a waste of time. I only get 12 bucks an hour and i'm ready to leave that for something part time so that I can go to school full time and get done with my degree. I would like to work somewhere that will help me learn more about my career choice, or just computers and office work in general.

Any help or advise is appreciated, and if you need anymore information about my situation please don't hesitate to ask.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Student new to software development! Need a little advice

• D.I.C Addict
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Student new to software development! Need a little advice

Posted 17 January 2012 - 09:13 PM

I work full time, and attend graduate school (almost done!). I also live with my girlfriend (soon-to-be-wife). It can be a pain to get some time for hobby development-- especially if your girlfriend loves the attention and doesn't let you do your thing for 10 god damn minutes :P </kidding, kind of>

The best you can do is work on a hobby project-- something you want to make for your own use or amusement, in which case you work at it whenever you can. On the other hand, you can find an open source project you want to help out with-- find them on IRC, chat with them, find out what you can possibly do and help em out when you can.

You can also do things like-- help newbies solve problems, write tutorials, documentation, spread the word for the project etc.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 18 January 2012 - 09:02 PM

as far as jobs are concerned, not having any knowledge will be tough to find something. sometimes joining the military can be a good option. they will pay you while you learn and then give you a job after training. that can be an extreme measure.

If you want to start hobby projects, I would suggest picking a language and get used to it for a while, you can download free tutorials and start small simple projects and work you way up. the more you do, the more ideas you will have. something simple is creating a calculator.
simple languages that can do a lot are C++ or Java.

If you are more into web development, ruby or php are pretty simple to learn.

good luck.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 18 January 2012 - 09:23 PM

C++ is what I want to start learning. I have been reading a little about api. Any tips for them? Some better then others?

I was thinking something maybe retail. Anything to develop soft skills, or something working with computers.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#5 jon.kiparsky   User is online

• Beginner
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 19 January 2012 - 10:21 AM

Learning a language like C++ on your own is a serious endeavor. If you're already cramped for time in getting your classes in, I'd suggest you focus your attention more on getting the most out of the classes you're in now. If you can make time to study programming, I'd suggest you think about learning some smaller toolkit languages. Perl and python or bash are good options - perl and bash are especially useful for developers working in a posix environment, and you can learn a lot about them in your spare time.

I'm assuming here that when you say you haven't done any programming classes yet, that means you're going to in the near future. If that's not the case, then I'd want to modify this advice.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1