3 Replies - 1105 Views - Last Post: 27 January 2012 - 09:24 PM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

which algorithm

Posted 27 January 2012 - 10:50 AM

So after looking up path finding algorithms on Wikipedia I notice there are a LOT of path finding algorithms. I don't know which one to choose. I was wondering if i could get a recommendation.

What I'm doing: I am trying to make a program like map quest. I will have to create the map myself based off of a physical map (no digital copies available) The map is for over 2,000 acres of land. There are several large buildings and a LOT of roads. My program will be based on door numbers (over 700 doors, not in a sequential order) There will be toggle switches to make portions of roads or entire roads impassable. I will more than likely run the algorithm thrice: 1)get from current door to main road 2) find rout from entry point of main road to entry point to "sub-road" 3)Get from entry point of sub road to door. (but that is not finalized, I just started the engineering phase )

Any suggestions for algorithms?

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: which algorithm

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Re: which algorithm

Posted 27 January 2012 - 11:00 AM

(did not see an edit button)

Edit: It has to be fast. Lives may depend on it.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 27 January 2012 - 04:42 PM

When I was implementing game AI, I used the A* algorithm to some success with pathfinding. The best resource I found was Amit's Game AI site:

http://www-cs-studen...ameprog.html#ai
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 27 January 2012 - 09:24 PM

Thanks. I really liked the part of that set of articles that compared a* to two other algorithms (I was actually looking at one of the ones it compared to and seen how much better a* is) I can't wait for my day off to really start getting into this.

BTW How do I give you kudos on this forum? I see it but not a way to give it.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1