2 Replies - 821 Views - Last Post: 27 January 2012 - 09:54 PM

• Knows all, except most.

• View blog

Mobile Website Display

Posted 27 January 2012 - 07:45 PM

What is the best way to have a mobile phone be able to properly display a webpage? Also, how does the phone display the webpage, does it just zoom out 10x (or some other amount) and display it like that?

Or can a seperate webpage be made to show for mobile platforms? How would I do that?

What do you think is best?
Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Mobile Website Display

• Enhance Your Calm
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Mobile Website Display

Posted 27 January 2012 - 08:21 PM

What is the best way to have a mobile phone be able to properly display a webpage?

Ideally your HTML should be well structured enough so that it does not need to be rewritten for different devices. You can use different CSS styles for different devices by using media types, or by targeting certain browser characteristics using media queries.

I suggest you read this article on this subject:
A List Apart: Responsive Web Design

Also, how does the phone display the webpage, does it just zoom out 10x (or some other amount) and display it like that?

Smart-phones tend to apply their own wrapping on text within a page, to make it fit on the screen, rather than have you zoom out or have to scroll horizontally. Obviously this can cause issues under some circumstances, but in general this works fairly well.

Or can a seperate webpage be made to show for mobile platforms? How would I do that?

You'll often see mobile versions of websites located under a different subdomain, often named simply "m.example.com". An example of this is Google's mobile version: m.google.com. - Browse sniffing can be used to redirect mobile browsers there when entering the main site.

I would consider this a far less appealing method, though, compared to using CSS to just alter the appearance of the main site to fit a mobile device.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Knows all, except most.

• View blog

Re: Mobile Website Display

Posted 27 January 2012 - 09:53 PM

Thank you very much Alti, had never thought about what the media attribute does, very helpful :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1