3 Replies - 7219 Views - Last Post: 09 February 2012 - 09:44 AM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

denumerable , enumerable , countable

Posted 09 February 2012 - 08:57 AM

Iam actually confused over the terms denumerable , enumerable , countable. For me they all look like to mean the same thing. Am i correct. Please correct me if iam wrong.

This post has been edited by qet: 09 February 2012 - 09:02 AM

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: denumerable , enumerable , countable

• 痛覚残留
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: denumerable , enumerable , countable

Posted 09 February 2012 - 09:03 AM

though I can't help with denumerable, I'll try the other two.

something is enumerable, if you can iterate over it (often used in a foreach loop construct)

something is countable, if you can determine, how many (enumerable) elements it contains. it is often the case that enumerability is used on the elements, while the counability is used on their (super)set/container. (like the elements of an array are enumerable, while the array itself is countable (though that is not a strict definition)).

This post has been edited by Dormilich: 09 February 2012 - 09:03 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• I'm a cheeseburger
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 09 February 2012 - 09:36 AM

denumerable, enumerable, and countable are synonymous. Though different organizations/fields/standards may create distinctions between the words specifically, but these distinctions are minimal and unique to those groups.

Funny enough science, math, and computers have SEVERAL words for 'counting' and the attribute of being countable, and the noun of representing a counted set. There are more including iterator, iteration, enumerator, numeric set, equipollent set, etc etc etc.

There are minor unique differences between them sometimes, and you'll pick them up relative to the field you are in at that moment. Like take for instance in the .Net framework enumerator, enumerable, and enum all have unique meanings with respect to the .Net framework (the first 2 are classes, one to describe the enumerable form on an object, the other to do the enumerating, and the last is a type declaration keyword for creating an enumerable set of values).

In the end though, just follow your gut.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#4 baavgai   User is online

• Dreaming Coder
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 09 February 2012 - 09:44 AM

There's mathematics and there's computer science. While they are relatives, they are not the same. Indeed, computer science will lift jargon from just about anything...

I've never heard the term "denumerable" ever used, though apparently it's said to be a property of countable sets. ( Seriously, I learn something new every day. )

In Object Oriented programming, you will find objects that are said to be enumerable and countable. This means they implement methods that will allow you to ask certain questions. Countable would offer you the ability to request a count from an object. That object needn't offer anything else.

An enumerable object is usually associated with a collection of other objects. In this context, you are said to be able to get a list of those other objects by enumerating though them. An enumerator in procedural programming is similar, if not identical, to an iterator.

Again, context is everything. Such terms will only have definitive meaning depending on what context you're using them in.
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1