7 Replies - 1107 Views - Last Post: 28 February 2012 - 09:59 PM Rate Topic: -----

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Adding login/sign in

Posted 28 February 2012 - 12:34 PM

Hi guys,
Im about half way through my game and everything seems to be going well. C# (XNA)

I was thinking about putting a 'sign in-login' feature on the main menu instead of just selecting play.
Then the winners score could be added to the score table.
and it can use the players username in the game instead of 'player1' player 2. etc...

Nothing over a client-server network, just using the local DB on VS. The game will be kept on the local machine with 2 players

Anyone know any tutorials or games where this is included, so I can take a look at it and see what is involved.

Thanks

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Adding login/sign in

• Xamarin Cert. Dev.
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Adding login/sign in

Posted 28 February 2012 - 03:52 PM

Make a class called "player" with properties of
string name
int score

Save it someplace like an XML file or DB. Like you said this is nothing complex. So don't over-think it.

See FAQ 5 for a fully-featured network login tutorial (later upgrades to your game)
FAQ 21 for database tutorials
FAQ 9 for using XML files

TOP most asked:
What does this error message mean?
FAQ 2: How do I debug
FAQ 3: How do I make Form1 talk to Form2

FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions - Updated Feb 2012
Spoiler

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 28 February 2012 - 04:47 PM

Thanks for the reply tlhIn`toq but apologises I cant find the FAQ you refer to please post a link.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Saucy!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 28 February 2012 - 04:50 PM

We have LOTS of tutorials. Have you looked through them?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Xamarin Cert. Dev.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 28 February 2012 - 05:11 PM

View PostXna4life, on 28 February 2012 - 05:47 PM, said:

Thanks for the reply tlhIn`toq but apologises I cant find the FAQ you refer to please post a link.

Let me be really frank,and I'm sorry if this hurts your feelings. I'm just putting this out there man to man: I have immediate doubts about anyone that can't figure out to click the "SHOW" button on a post. It makes me think that any research you're doing is probably wasted time; that even if you had been on sites that had the answers you sought that you probably still didn't see them, recognize them or understand them. If someone has to hold you by the hand like a child crossing the street for the first time, then you might want to reconsider your aptitude for this career field.

Attached Image

This post has been edited by tlhIn`toq: 28 February 2012 - 05:13 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 28 February 2012 - 06:47 PM

Thanks for taking the time to announce your opinion, after all everyone is entitled to their own opinion, even if YOURS means squat all to anybody.

I suppose I can understand how the seat you sit on and the administration you tend to render on this site gives you the ego to be-little people...one could almost compare it to childish behaviour in the school yeard yard...Your You're not a child now are you good sir?.

If you will allow yourself to stand off your high horse you seem to be riding on for just a moment and possibly consider that I might just have joined the site and as am yet not completely aware on where everything is.

I also used your search engine at the top of the page to look for 'FAQ 2: How do I debug &
FAQ 3: How do I make Form1 talk to Form2' (in your words) and yet nothing of any relevance appeared. It would also help if the 'Show' button wasn't displayed in SIZE 2 font, let’s be honest for one second it doesn't exactly jump out at you.

Well that’s a bit more than I wanted to say I usually don't lower myself to get wrapped up in petty disputes over forums, but as I said thank you for showing your friends and foe's that you are indefinitely a jerk.

This post has been edited by tlhIn`toq: 28 February 2012 - 09:51 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 28 February 2012 - 07:20 PM

Hey now, come on, let's stay on the topic at hand. Xna4life, try not to insult people that are helping you, it doesn't work out well. And tlhIn`toq, you could have just said that there's a spoiler button, no need to insult people's intelligence.

Anyway, back to the matter at hand. Xna4life, here's a link that might help you out a bit as XNA storage is a bit different from plain C#.NET Saving Data to a Save Game File Also, you may find more luck posting in the XNA forum.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Xamarin Cert. Dev.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 28 February 2012 - 09:58 PM

after all everyone is entitled to their own opinion

Agreed. Good to see we have common ground on which to build.

Moving forward is the important thing.

View PosttlhIn`toq, on 28 February 2012 - 04:52 PM, said:

Make a class called "player" with properties of
string name
int score

Save it someplace like an XML file or DB. Like you said this is nothing complex. So don't over-think it.

You described a simple need and you were given a simple and direct suggestion. Did it help you?

View PosttlhIn`toq, on 28 February 2012 - 04:52 PM, said:

See FAQ 5 for a fully-featured network login tutorial (later upgrades to your game)
FAQ 21 for database tutorials
FAQ 9 for using XML files

Now that you know where these were leading you, did the tutorials help you?

In short, do you have a direction to go now, or is there more we can do for you?

This post has been edited by tlhIn`toq: 28 February 2012 - 10:00 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1