10 Replies - 2903 Views - Last Post: 05 April 2012 - 03:40 PM Rate Topic: -----

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Aids/tools to learning C#

Posted 05 April 2012 - 11:37 AM

Hello all. I am interested in learning C#, and have amassed several textbooks, sites and editors/IDE options for the ride.

I have a few questions that I would like to answer/have answered now, in the infantile stage of my C# journey, so as to avoid backtracking, and the inevitable downward spiral of motivation and interest that would soon follow. Here goes.

- Should I begin my learning from the text editor approach, or the visual/IDE one? Is this really a choice, or am I confused?

- If a choice need be made whether to learn by way of visual IDE or text editor, will these two paths converge later down the line? Will one better prepare me for the deeper stages of C# than the other?

I just want to know whether it is necessary or beneficial to get some flavor of Visual C# installed on my computer or not, particularly early on - that piece of software seems very large and permeating, and I do not really want to install that unless it will definitely enhance my learning.

Thanks in advance!

Shane

P.S. I have taken introductory classes in C++, VB, Perl, and Java, so I am not totally green :-D

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Aids/tools to learning C#

#2 modi123_1   User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Aids/tools to learning C#

Posted 05 April 2012 - 11:43 AM

- Should I begin my learning from the text editor approach, or the visual/IDE one? Is this really a choice, or am I confused?

- If a choice need be made whether to learn by way of visual IDE or text editor, will these two paths converge later down the line? Will one better prepare me for the deeper stages of C# than the other?

Use Visual Studios & read/research the MSDN help files and you should be good.
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 05 April 2012 - 11:43 AM

The IDE is simply a tool to make the process go faster. There is no difference in what you can do with C# based on what tool you use to write it. You should use VS so you don't have to worry about compiling your code or simple spelling errors.

C# is similar to Java. You could use a text editor, but why do it when you can use Eclipse? The same is true with VS. It will also allow you to learn using intellisense. I learned a lot just by hitting the period after a class and reading through what intellisense suggested.

Install VS. If you don't like it, uninstall it. It doesn't harm your computer.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• (╯□)╯︵ (~ .o.)~
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 05 April 2012 - 11:52 AM

Use the IDE. You'll get different advice for things like Java, but .NET is pretty tightly bound to its tools. Of course you can do things in text editors and csc.exe, but in my entire career, I've never had to compile a solution outside of VS (except for some CodeDom stuff, but that's an entirely different story).
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

#5 modi123_1   User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 05 April 2012 - 11:59 AM

... and while I am thinking about it - I'll correct your title to Aides versus AIDS... Unless that was your original intention. If so shoot me a PM and I can change it back.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 05 April 2012 - 11:59 AM

I am an old school DOS guy, and learned web development the notepad way, as my instructors taught us to do, and I was under the assumption that my approach to this language should be the same - you know, write code until your fingers are numb, get used to writing it correctly.

I remember the textbooks I used for XHTML and CSS vilifying WYSIWYG HTML machines like Dreamweaver and FrontPage for their often very loose code.

So there is no difference between C# and Visual C#, it's just the environment used for making it - is that correct?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#7 modi123_1   User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 05 April 2012 - 12:01 PM

IF you are talking about a difference between a console project and a winform project then no. (just different libraries needed on start up)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 05 April 2012 - 12:05 PM

Thanks to all for the helpful replies. I have a heading now, and am ready to get going!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (╯□)╯︵ (~ .o.)~
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 05 April 2012 - 01:37 PM

The "Visual" part of the name is just a name. It's all "Visual C#", which is usually just shortened to "C#".

They called it that because it's paired up with "Visual Basic".

The WYSIWYG form editor in C# is fine, better than trying to hand code all the boilerplate it generates for you (you'll get a very different answer if you asked the same question over in the java forum, since their editors produce fairly difficult-to-read code).
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 05 April 2012 - 01:42 PM

I don't believe anyone could code C# as quick and efficiently without using an IDE, .NET is designed with VS in mind.

It's a tool, it won't make you a great programmer in itself but learning to use it well makes your life easier. A Visual Studio power user is a very efficient programmer.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Xamarin Cert. Dev.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 05 April 2012 - 03:40 PM

Where do I start?

You start by learning a coding language FIRST.
Learn to plan before you type.
THEN you start designing software with a purpose.

Finding answers to specific problems:
Spoiler

If this sounds like you

Newbie/Rookie said:

I have a little programming experience but I need to write ...
read this section
Spoiler

Otherwise, you can just jump to the resources here:
Some of the tutorials below are for C# or Java not C, C++, VB.NET [...]. But the conceptual stuff of classes, object oriented design, events etc. are not language specific and should give you enough guidance in theory of program development for you to be able to look-up specific code example in your chosen coding language.

Resources, references and suggestions for new programmers. - Updated Mar 2012
Spoiler

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1