2 Replies - 2829 Views - Last Post: 22 May 2012 - 08:28 PM

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

HOW TO UNINSTALL THE INSTANCE in SQL Server 2008

Posted 10 May 2012 - 04:59 AM

I have installed new instance. While installing, it is occurred an error like this. (SQL Server Browser service group does not exists. Check for earlier failures in the setup.) In the end of the installation, it is shown sql server installed with failures. In "Services", it is displayed the instance that i installed. It can not start the service. I WANT TO KNOW HOW TO UNINSTALL THE NEW INSTANCE... Cannot do this with control panel, because if i uninstall SQL server, it will be effected to already exist instance.
SERVER: SQL Server enterprise edition 2008

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: HOW TO UNINSTALL THE INSTANCE in SQL Server 2008

• Here to help.
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: HOW TO UNINSTALL THE INSTANCE in SQL Server 2008

Posted 22 May 2012 - 07:31 PM

I hate to break this to you. But uninstalling SQL Server is a major ordeal. I've done numerous SQL 2000 and 2005 uninstalls and I've never once seen it uninstall correctly. It involves some Registry hacking. There are a couple of registry trees that need to be seriously pruned, more than likely.

Before you do anything else, back up every thing you can. Keep in mind that you can always restore backups, if you have them. So, if you wipe all of SQL Server off the machine (which is probably best anyway) you can still restore from your backups.

The easy answer is call Microsoft. They deal with this on a daily basis.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Re: HOW TO UNINSTALL THE INSTANCE in SQL Server 2008

Posted 22 May 2012 - 08:28 PM

Ya BBec. I also tried a lot to uninstall HALF INSTALLED instance. (Some instance are showing in Services which can't be able to start the service) The problem is the server is owned to a major company and can't uninstall the SQL server. It should work for 24 hours. Try to find a better answer and if you find a proper solution other than uninstalling the SQL server, please post it this thread. Thank you.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1