2 Replies - 3934 Views - Last Post: 17 June 2012 - 05:51 PM Rate Topic: -----

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Learning to hand code a GUI

Posted 17 June 2012 - 03:19 PM

Hey guys, so I've been learning how to hand code a GUI (Primarily focused on BorderLayout, BoxLayout, FlowLayout, CardLayout, and GridLayout) but I'm really just kind of learning it all from random Google searches, the Oracle website, and trial and error. I feel like this is probably an inefficient way of learning it all. I've grasped the basics, sure, but I'm struggling to create a real GUI.

Long story short, I'm trying to create a basic app that I want to be able to port to multiple platforms (Windows 7, Android, iOS, Mac OS, Windows 8/Phone) to learn the basics. I'm pretty confident in my ability to code the back-end for what I want, but I need a basic GUI to test it and this is where I'm struggling.

Are there any good books or tutorials that will give me a good foundation on GUI design and development?

Thanks a bunch everybody! :)

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Learning to hand code a GUI

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Re: Learning to hand code a GUI

Posted 17 June 2012 - 03:51 PM

There are several tutorials on here that you could read. Including this.
As for the program to be universal to different platforms, with an IDE to execute the .class files, or just using a Jar file, they are completely universal and are executable on all operating systems.

And as for books, if you are looking at learning Java from the ground up, I would suggest Core Java I & II. These books aren't too expensive, and they will teach you everything you need to know. They also have a fairly vast section on GUI's, ActionListeners, etc.

This post has been edited by ILoveJava: 17 June 2012 - 03:54 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#3 macosxnerd101   User is online

• Games, Graphs, and Auctions
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Learning to hand code a GUI

Posted 17 June 2012 - 05:51 PM

Swing isn't supported on the mobile platform. Android uses its own GUI system. The iOS platform relies on Objective-C, and Windows Phone uses .NET technologies. Remember that for Java to run on a platform, there needs to be a JVM on the system.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1