3 Replies - 1053 Views - Last Post: 04 July 2012 - 08:48 PM Rate Topic: -----

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

c++ compiler and editor

Posted 04 July 2012 - 11:16 AM

Hello, I am currently transitioning from Java to c++. I have been trying to find a good compiler and editor for c++, and currently am using notepad++ and Dev C++. I have noticed that Dev C++ does not always compile the code that I know should work and is rather difficult to use. I experimented with Visual C++ Express 2010, but the addition of files directly into the project folder (from outside the program) never seemed to work. Notepad++ works great, except for the lack of a built in compiler. Conclusively, I need a good IDE or compiler for c++ that is up to c++ standards (c++11) and can compile pretty much anything I throw at it. Thank you for any help you provide!

-Brennan Riddell

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: c++ compiler and editor

• spelling expret
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: c++ compiler and editor

Posted 04 July 2012 - 11:21 AM

Dev C++ is an old IDE and the compiler it ships with is old. Visual C++ doesn't *yet* support C++11 very well. GCC 4.7 has the best C++11 support thus far. I like using code::blocks for an IDE; you can get a nightly build that is more up to date. if you update it's compiler to use the nuwen distro of MinGW(minimalist GCC for windows) you get an up to date IDE and the best C++11 compiler currently available plus the almost latest boost libraries(they just got to 1.5, nuwen comes with 1.4.9; no telling when it will update)

and of course you can still use the MinGW compiler with notepad++

This post has been edited by ishkabible: 04 July 2012 - 11:26 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 04 July 2012 - 11:31 AM

Thank you. I am downloading code::blocks right now!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 04 July 2012 - 08:48 PM

I'll second the recommendation for code blocks.

I still use Notepad++ because for pure text editing there is nothing better out there...although CB has some nice features for straight text work, notepad is better (and was written in C++).

One thing to be wary of is that CB will sometimes not play nicely on your system if you have instances of Visual Studio installed and "just-in-time" error checking enabled. My system (windows XP) often throws bogus errors if that is enabled, but it goes away once it is turned off.

Good luck.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1