3 Replies - 11021 Views - Last Post: 29 July 2012 - 08:42 PM Rate Topic: -----

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Is It Possible To View New Vertical Tab Groups In Alternating Colors?

Posted 29 July 2012 - 09:45 AM

In Visual Studio you can of course right click select the tab and choose new vertical tab group to view multiple pages at once.

As cool & efficient as I'd like to think I am by using this, I admittedly get overwhelmed when looking at multiple open pages of code (especially with the same background color theme behind them). I guess I'm not as cool as I try to be : )

In any case,.. I'm slowly getting used to the idea (at least two pages up anyway), but I wanted to know if anyone can think of an extension maybe already out, or perhaps some tinker way of having VS display the different open tabs in different background colors.

I figured I wouldn't get so overwhelmed viewing the multi-pages if I could designate a contrasting color to each one.

I know how to change the overall background color & themes of VS, but not for unique pages open, is this even possible?

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Is It Possible To View New Vertical Tab Groups In Alternating Colors?

• (╯□)╯︵ (~ .o.)~
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Is It Possible To View New Vertical Tab Groups In Alternating Colors?

Posted 29 July 2012 - 10:50 AM

I know there was an addon that would change the color of the tab itself (as in, the bit at the top) but I've never seen or heard of one that would change the background color of the tab page itself.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Code herder
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 29 July 2012 - 11:16 AM

I don't know if you want to tackle writing your own VS2010 extension, but from what I can see here, you can at least control the margin color. The walkthrough covers selection colors, but it lists other things that can be controlled. See: http://msdn.microsof...ibrary/ee818135

The extension will have to be interact with the rest of the VS object model to determine which window it is in know which color to apply.

A few recommendations:
- If you can go multi-monitor, do so. You'll never (willingly) go back. You can keep "reference" files one side, and the "active editting" files on the other side. I only went back just because it's hard to have monitors on my lap while using my laptop in bed.
- If you can't go multi-monitor, but your monitor rotates. Try going portrait mode. You'll see more of your code.
- At least for my usage pattern, the multiple pages open at once is only useful if I'm trying implement a complex interface and I need to see the entire interface on one page and the code where I'm implementing it at the same time. Otherwise, I'd rather see more of the code I'm currently editting.
- If I find that I'm using two pages because I'm comparing files, I step back and use a visual diff tool. WinDiff that comes with VS2010 suffices, but Beyond Compare, I believe is the class leader. Love or hate, Perforce, their free P4Merge is actually quite good if you want a free visual diff tool that is better than WinDiff, but not quite Beyond Compare.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 29 July 2012 - 08:42 PM

Thanks Curtis & Skydiver for the responses.

Good stuff you guys gave me!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1