• (2 Pages)
  • +

16 Replies - 1690 Views - Last Post: 13 September 2012 - 07:51 PM

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

HDD v SSD v Hybrid

Posted 02 September 2012 - 02:07 PM

Hey,

I've got a little money ~85 currently and with my birthday and Christmas coming up soon, I might be able to get around about 140. So I was thinking, as you do, "What can I spend it all on?". I've got pretty much everything I need tech wise now, but recently my computer has been slowing down a little. (Please, please don't tell me to use cleaner applications - I use about 3 already). It's still really quick, but I want to upgrade the hardware.

I was thinking of getting an SSD, but it'd only be good for the OS as they're pretty expensive per gigabyte, although coming down in price. The next thing I was concerned about was the limited write cycles on them - I don't want it dying out on me after a few months. How long would they last for general OS and program installation/startup usage?

Next I thought about getting a nice new Seagate Barracuda (my favourite - used in my PC now and in my server) HDD. Minimum 10k RPM and 32mb cache, and if possible 10k RPM and 64mb cache. But, HDDs aren't the fastest are they? So, you can see my point there...

Only just have I learnt about HHDs (Hybrid Hard Drives), and although not exactly the same speed as an SSD, they're only about 10% slower. They're not too much cheaper than SSDs though, which is my next problem.

I know you lot know your facts about hardware, so could you help me decide what to get, or if anything, what to combine? Just remember, I haven't found that pot at the end of the rainbow yet!

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: HDD v SSD v Hybrid

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Re: HDD v SSD v Hybrid

Posted 02 September 2012 - 02:26 PM

This one has great reviews, the site it's on even lets you compare prices. Also worth checking.
Was This Post Helpful? -1
  • +
  • -

• "Hurry up and wait"
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 02 September 2012 - 02:26 PM

Hi Ho, Hi Ho, off to Hardware we go...
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• .. does not guess solutions
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 02 September 2012 - 02:54 PM

Some of the stuff that I wrote on my blog about my recent experience with SSDs might help you.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 02 September 2012 - 04:04 PM

View PostRudiVisser, on 02 September 2012 - 02:54 PM, said:

Some of the stuff that I wrote on my blog about my recent experience with SSDs might help you.

The blog post was real helpful - thanks. At least now I have a recommendation on a good one to buy. Also did I remind you to post an update on your blog about it? :D

View PostChoscura, on 02 September 2012 - 02:26 PM, said:

This one has great reviews, the site it's on even lets you compare prices. Also worth checking.

Someone like you should know that it is against the rules to 'tell someone to Google it'. Your reply could've at least been funny, rather than useless.
And besides, if you weren't ignorant and presumed that I'm stupid and hadn't Googled around already, I'm an avid programmer/scripter and I know (especially for DIC threads) to Google anything first...
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• .. does not guess solutions
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 02 September 2012 - 04:35 PM

View PostToshNeox, on 03 September 2012 - 12:04 AM, said:

The blog post was real helpful - thanks. At least now I have a recommendation on a good one to buy. Also did I remind you to post an update on your blog about it? :D

Most certainly did, the title was even 'OCZ Petrol 64B' before tonight ;)

Anyway, I can 100% recommend the OCZ Agility series, it's cost effective and seems to hold up pretty well. I've heard some bad things about the Intel SSDs despite the price, as that was another option I was going to consider. I guess Corsair SSDs are also pretty good depending on what you're wanting to go for.

Don't expect it to crap out after a month or few though. I'm a pretty heavy user, and according to SSDLife, I've hardly made a dent in the lifespan after a few months.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• "Hurry up and wait"
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 02 September 2012 - 04:46 PM

ToshNeox, You ask about hardware here, you will get a persons opinion. There is so much info out there, to get hardware that matches what you want, you really need to do your homework, research different brands, read reviews, life spans of brands, etc...
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 03 September 2012 - 09:52 PM

I strongly urge you to consider getting an SSD. Crucial M4s are widely regarded as the best value drives (in terms of price, stability, and performance)

how much space do you actually need?

DO NOT worry about hitting the SSD write-limit. the NAND flash is most durable component in your SSD (generally rated for 10 years).
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 04 September 2012 - 02:40 PM

View PostThe Architect 2.0, on 03 September 2012 - 09:52 PM, said:

I strongly urge you to consider getting an SSD. Crucial M4s are widely regarded as the best value drives (in terms of price, stability, and performance)

how much space do you actually need?

DO NOT worry about hitting the SSD write-limit. the NAND flash is most durable component in your SSD (generally rated for 10 years).

Okay, the more suggestions the better. I would like to get at least 60gb, preferably 120gb, but it depends on the price.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 06 September 2012 - 01:40 AM

in the canadian market, i can get an SSD at under $1/GB (usually closer to $0.75/GB during sales).

I'm not familiar with the UK market personally.

some good names to look out for:
Crucial M4
Intel 520
Intel 330
Samsung 830
Kingston HyperX/HyperX 3K
OCZ Vertex 4
OCZ Vertex 3
OCZ Agility 3

there are a couple of other SSDs that i forgot, but thats a pretty solid selection mostly. I personally recommend you go for the cheapest one at the size you want.

the vertex 3 and agility 3 have an exceptionally bad reputation due to earlier issues with the hardware (google about the 'sandforce bsod') AND OCZ's poor customer service (specifically in response to the hardware issues). The hardware issues are largely resolved, but a lot of people still like to badmouth OCZ and still say there are hardware issues. The decision to purchase those two drives are up to you; its just that you should know that the hardware issues that started all this are effectively gone now. Also, I personally use a V3 for my desktop and a housemate uses the A3 ;) no problems ever.

make SURE you update the SSD to the latest firmware version* BEFORE you install your OS on it. not all updates will wipe your data, but its a pain when it does.

*check around hardware forums to see if the latest version has any user-reported problems before installing it

This post has been edited by The Architect 2.0: 06 September 2012 - 01:47 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 06 September 2012 - 01:43 PM

Thanks everyone for the suggestions! I've just ordered a Crucial M4 from Amazon (cheaper than Crucial.com) with Express delivery :D

I've read about the issues but they've been fixed with firmware updates which I'll do first thing when I get it.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Great::Southern::Land
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 08 September 2012 - 07:21 AM

I know its too late now, just letting you know my local computer bloke steered me well clear of an SSD because he had a bunch of customers experiencing major issues with them. If your data is critical and you don't like to risk its total loss then i would go a raid 0 array or something over it. I know they are fast, but do you really need all that speed as a programmer ?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 11 September 2012 - 04:48 PM

SSDs are most definitely not necessary, but they are pretty much the only upgrade that will make a difference in perceived speed (especially, when you consider the performance/dollar scale).

SSDs used to have alot of issues back in '08, but modern SSDs are perfectly fine. The seller is likely just parroting what he heard from other people without taking the time to look at the actual return rates vs units sold and not investigating what caused the data loss in the first place.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• "Hurry up and wait"
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 11 September 2012 - 05:14 PM

I don't see a need for SSD (at this point in time at least) The big selling point is your OS boots almost right away. If you have enough RAM and you need your programs to run fast, just use a RamDrive.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 13 September 2012 - 03:52 AM

have you used one before?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (2 Pages)