5 Replies - 1419 Views - Last Post: 20 October 2012 - 08:07 PM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

New laptop for beginning CS major

Posted 16 October 2012 - 02:34 PM

Hi everyone!

I'm going to be going to college for computer science B.S. in the Spring of 2012. I will be needing a new computer and I want to know if there was a specific brand I should be looking at that would be best for programming and some web design. I am currently building my own desktop but I want to have a laptop to carry around and take notes and maybe pull up assignments on the go. Should I look at Macs to get more than one OS under my belt with programs like Bootcamp? Or would I be fine with a Windows OS and maybe use Linux?

Thanks!

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: New laptop for beginning CS major

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Re: New laptop for beginning CS major

Posted 16 October 2012 - 07:19 PM

the host OS doesn't matter, you can always fire up windows/linux in a VM.

alot of people overestimate the importance of having access to OS X. I've personally never seen a course that taught FreeBSD for any significant amount of time (or at all).
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Bloodborne
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 16 October 2012 - 07:24 PM

If you're planning to develop for the iOS then by all means, buy a Mac laptop, but I suggest buying one you can put Windows and Linux into. Those are the most popular OS used in real world work environments. I'm pretty sure you can install Windows on Mac through something but I'm not sure about Linux though.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 16 October 2012 - 08:34 PM

Thanks guys I really appreciate the feedback. Yeah I realize most offices are based off of windows OS, But I figured an understanding in how OS X operated couldn't hurt either. Just wasn't sure if getting a Mac was worth it. I noticed you can get stronger laptops for a lot less than macs. At least that's just what I have seen with my research on them
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Bloodborne
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 16 October 2012 - 08:53 PM

That's true, Macs are pricey. Also, add to the fact that you'll have more tools at your disposal if you opt for a Windows capable laptop that you can also install a separate Linux OS to. Also, if you buy a powerful enough laptop, you can also do gaming and graphical design.

When I meant gaming I meant play games. Haha.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 20 October 2012 - 08:07 PM

if you're interested in dual-booting vs VMs. then your only choice is a windows laptop.

it is possible to have multiple OSes installed on a mac, but their EFI system is a freaking nightmare. it's doable (as far as I've heard from a couple of years ago), but its not worth the effort; especially for a time-constrained student.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1