One who is experienced in C++ (actionscript and games in particular) a

• (2 Pages)
  • +

26 Replies - 2619 Views - Last Post: 13 July 2007 - 05:43 PM Rate Topic: -----

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Hi guys! I am in need of a tutor!

Post icon  Posted 07 July 2007 - 06:06 AM

Hi guys! Just like to send out a bit of a hello! to everyone here @ dreamincode.net. I'm from australia (hence the topic title). I don't know where most of you guys are from, i assume that this community doesnt have that many australians.. if any... xD

why am i here? good question to be asking an 18 yr old who is still completing his final year of high school and doesnt do any computing/i.t/i.p.t/chemistry/science... ANY of those type of subjects. WELLLL... I am a bit of a nerd online computer gamer (surprise surprise) and i'd like to make a game. A game that (when complete) will truly keep me satisfied... i have come to the belief that it is indeed a niche in the market... Before i go on i'll give you a brief (a VERY brief) background knowledge of stuff to do with me and computers...

-My dad is a bit of a computer nerd.... he makes/breaks/fixes/cleans computers and anything in them and on them. He is very rusty with C++, though he doesnt admit it; especially with the part of it that i want to get my hands on.. the computer game making side of it. currently he hirers i.t people for companies that cant be bothered doing it himself.
-i am fairly alright with computers.... i can fix the majority of 'normal' problems that happen with computers, such as crashes, viruses, overheating, defragging (O.o)... most things.... some of this knowledge is because of my dad... some of it is because of me and my tendancy to get my hands dirty... also playing alot of online games has added to my knowledge of such things.

okay.. back on topic.... after asking my dad, he'd say he'd help me learn C++..... i dont know about you guys but for me, that was a big thing to do... i dont reeeeaaallly want to make a computer game with his help... it'll have his name/influence all over it and truthfully he's a bit of a jerk some of the time. Yay! more father-son time when he's teaching me C++! (note my sarcasm). Despite this fact of me not wanting to listen to him or anything like that, he does every now and then have some feasible advice. Since im a real n0ob at C++ (dunno wtf is going on the second you open up a C++ compiler), he suggested that i should learn how to make a simple application before i get into it... to learn the basics. makes sense to me... im up for a 2nd opinion though (or third :S).

THe simple application he suggested was a pong game. You know the game where you have basically a rectangle at the bottom of your screen and a ball bouncing round? Yeh, that game. He said it includes most fundamental aspects of computer game design. understandable there. still one problem.. want less of dad.. more me. (lol selfish). Second problem. I d/l ed both visual basic express C++ and visual studio express C++ from microsoft... my dads not familiar with those programs.... as much as he is most likely going to pick up on them... sttttiiiiiiiiillllll...... :(

SO........ WHy am I here? To self-teach myself (with the help of you guys ;) how to make a computer game. I realize making a computer game is a difficult task, especially considering my experience with C++... so i expect to be a regular on this site for a long time yet. I intend to give up gaming for at least a year, instead i'll *waste my spare time playing with code.. (*waste... i dont think it is a waste.. i just couldnt think of a better word..spend?)... i am intent on starting at the very basic level, as i do know all to well if i dont understand that, im screwed for higher level stuff, so bring on teaching me how to code a 'pong' game!!!

CHeers all! When i have reached the level of elite coder (like all you guys) and i have made my own computer game that will (hopefully) be played by thousands, i will mention every single one of you guys who helped me, including this website itself!

BTW... for all you cringing at the fact that i want to make a computer game, dont worry (too much), the game i plan to make is a 2d side-scrolling action game. not 3d. the only truly hard parts that i can think of to do with this game is the fact that i want (need is a better word...) it to be online (multiplayer) and network capable, with dedicated servers and sh*t like that.....

^^^That was a longish overview of what im doing here..... from the 'introduce yourself' section.^^^ Thought it was needed.. sorry if i was boring :(

Soo . yeah.... i would like someone who is able to tutor me on C++... with building a computer game in mind, from the VERY BEGINNING of coding, in either visual basic express or visual studio express. i heard visual studio express C++ was more powerful.... i like power :P Umm... i work well with screenshots to follow off (that would be nice :)) and whoever tutors me needs to understand that i really suck at the beginning, but once ive got the hang of things, i'll be on fire. That means that we need to take it really really slow at first, where you need to treat me as though i were a 2 year old... "this is an a-p-pl-e, apple... what do we do with apples? We e-a-t, eat apples." <-- yes as simple as that.... once ive hooked on and i havent been blown away by information, it will be a lot smoother from there. BTW. It helps me a lot if you question me and make me question myself... through this method i can determine the best ways to do things.... ALSO... I like to ask 'why' a lot. Why? Because i want to understand absolutely everything and all possibilites and outcomes...... You've been warned.

Private msg me/ email me... i'm ready to start :)

For all those who say that i should have a more closer look aorund this site, sorry to waste your time... just that i did, and all the stuff/tutorials around the place either has some assumed knowledge and/or not very 1on1... thats what i need or else i just dont get it. I need someone to ask why? to...... :P

Cheers alll and many thanks to those who take up the challenge of helping me out. You will all be mentioned in my game! I'm not letting on about much more about my game as of yet (im paranoid about ppl stealing ideas/ intellectual property etc... no offense) however i can promise you this: what goes around comes around.....

my gratitude is without limitations for all of you ppl who help me in the slightest!

As said above, PM me or email me! I'm ready when you are! (i'm not used to this site yet so maybe emailing me would be a bit better).....

Cheers all! thx for reading this much :S it really is appreciated!

This post has been edited by Overseer: 07 July 2007 - 06:09 AM

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Hi guys! I am in need of a tutor!

• Epic Awesomeness
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Hi guys! I am in need of a tutor!

Posted 07 July 2007 - 10:05 AM

good lord....kudos for the interest, im sure someone around these parts can help you out...if theres anything specific you want to learn post it and jot down any theories and code that you might have already come up with (even if its absolutely sucks, its a start!) and you'll find that this is the place youll come back to.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 07 July 2007 - 02:19 PM

Good to see some enthusiasm. I have some spare time in which I will happily teach you C++ (C++ isn't all you need to know to make games - in case you didn't know already - You'll have to go on afterwards to learn a graphics API such as Direct3D or OpenGL) If you've got AIM or MSN then PM me and we'll sort something out.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 07 July 2007 - 04:58 PM

Hey, sign me up for that, as well, please.... I think it'd be great if we could have like AIM chats or something because I'm also learning C++ as a means to create games in the future and I would enjoy having not only someone else there who's learning but also someone who could help me learn. I think that would aid the learning process exponentially. If that would be all right with either of you, please let me know--I'm ready to start anytime soon.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 07 July 2007 - 09:18 PM

O.o -wow... i wrote a lot... never knew i was capable of doing that at 2am in the morning.......

I tried PMing you Welli however some error came up saying "i cannot use the messaging function on this board".. something like that :S... so i'll just say what my email is for msn.. [email protected]
-dont ask.. i was young(er) and trying to make the best sounding email possible :P

eyy killned3.. definitely agree with your opinion that having another person to learn with will increase the learning process :) so sure get down my email as well.

to both welli and killned3- thanx for the interest and help! Sure i would love to hook up over msn and start some coding lessons! It sounds to me that you killned3 has some coding knowledge already (correct me if im wrong ;))..... i dont... so i dont know how its going to work for you Welli... maybe killned3 give first few lessons a miss? i dunno.. oh yeah the timezone issue >:( just another point to raise... meh im sure we'll figure it out..... so both of you guys write down my email and we can go from there! cheers for the help!

oh yes how could i forget? Mattman059 thx for the response and helpful information :) I currently know NO code.. so i cant really post it.. however i'll keep it in mind for future. Cheers to you to!

This post has been edited by Overseer: 07 July 2007 - 09:20 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• lost in compilation
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 07 July 2007 - 09:27 PM

10 posts are required for using or receiving pm's
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 07 July 2007 - 10:15 PM

Overseer, I have added you on MSN, and if you'd like you can add me, as well: [email protected] I hope to start this connection quickly and see how things turn out. :]
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 07 July 2007 - 10:36 PM

Ah, I'll add you now. I'm [email removed]

This post has been edited by Core: 15 May 2011 - 09:44 PM
Reason for edit:: removed email

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 07 July 2007 - 10:43 PM

I have added you, as well, Welli, if that is all right with you. Would it be all right for me to join this circle? :]
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 08 July 2007 - 07:27 AM

i seee no problem with it kill.. i spose it depends on the tutor ey?

william: thx for the heads-up dude- im not confused anymore :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 08 July 2007 - 03:38 PM

Thanks. I'm just gonna add that you and I are four hours apart, Overseer, me being four hours later. As of me writing this, it is 3:34 PM. Please correct me if I'm wrong. If not, then that shouldn't be much of a problem.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 08 July 2007 - 07:21 PM

it is 12:14pm (noonish) right now... lets just see what comes up on the post time ;)

o yeh.... its july the 9th....

about the time difference i'm sure we can work around it... i everynow and then stay up late and i always wake up early... it'll just take some coordination thats all :)

This post has been edited by Overseer: 08 July 2007 - 07:22 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 08 July 2007 - 07:46 PM

Tutoring in C++ would be awesome - can anyone join this party? I have my sights set on something a bit more basic than game programming for my first project - to wit I want to create a "flashcard" program for my son who is currently learning to play the bagpipes. Let me know if I can join in the learn-O-rama?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 08 July 2007 - 10:43 PM

I have to still find out from Welli if it's all right with him that I join in on this. Perhaps you can, too, it.padawan, but it's all up to him.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 09 July 2007 - 12:34 AM

flashcard eyy? i think it sounds just as basic as what we're doing... for us gamers it'll start off with 'pong' type games... pacman and mario style would be further up the chain... i'll email welli n ask him bout all you guys :) good to see some interest.... keep in mind padwan that me n kill are pretty much n0obs ;)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (2 Pages)
  • +