permissions

• (3 Pages)
  • +

38 Replies - 3057 Views - Last Post: 03 September 2001 - 10:18 PM

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Re: Shared Resources

Posted 02 September 2001 - 09:25 PM

a little off topic here...if you've ever posted on dvdtalk it's nice that I can leave the board up and it refreshes every 5 minutes...that would be kinda nice...just a thought...
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 02 September 2001 - 09:26 PM

i don't know, i heard chris say something about, it would take him a "year" to add another forum
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Microsoft.Whore

• View blog

Posted 02 September 2001 - 09:31 PM

'i don't want to get off on a rant here... but...'  why would M$ want to port IE to Linux?  IE IS windows.  if the source code for IE were to get out into the open source community we might have a serious OS contender on our hands.  we can't have that.  99% of the world's population is perfectly happy being M$ drones.  god forbid we have a choice...  besides, what makes IE great (on a Windows platform) is that it seems to integrate so well (as i said... it IS windows).  M$ doesn't have to do a lot of work (compared to a Linux box) as all the .dll etc. files are already in place for it to take advantage of.  sure, there are a few updates here and there, but it simply 'just works.'  
and speaking of IE and it being windows... did anyone notice the build number of the recently released IE6?  2600.something... just so happens to be the build number of the RTM (release to manufacturing) version of WinXp.  if anyone cares...
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Head DIC Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 02 September 2001 - 09:32 PM

Alrighty, here's what's up... I have Win2K at work, ME here at home, I'll be at work tomorrow... I'll try to answer your question there...

As for an OS forum, with XP coming out and Linux starting to become more prominant, i'ma make a new forum..

It will not be available immediately in the side bar, you'll have to actually navigate to it in the forums, but I will add it right now... Enjoy

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Head DIC Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 02 September 2001 - 09:37 PM

#Moderation Mode

Alrighty, I'm moving this to the brand new OS lounge, thanks for the suggestion, enjoy the new forum!

Moved here

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 02 September 2001 - 09:43 PM

I guess it take them that long.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Microsoft.Whore

• View blog

Posted 02 September 2001 - 09:49 PM

do you have permission to use the SMC at work chris?  i disabled it on my roomate's computer right after i installed 2k on his... any smart admin would.  or do you have access to an admin account?  just curious...
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Head DIC Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 02 September 2001 - 09:49 PM

I don't know if you were referring to the issue in this thread or the addition of the link to the sidebar... but just to introduce myself to the new members..

I'm the webmaster, I run this place, pretty much single handly... with the exception of LeprechauN's help with things... but I'm 18, I work almost full time, and go to college full time, so it takes me a while to do things... I actually live right here in Rio Rancho with all you people :)

Anywho, have a good one... I'll try to answer your question tomorrow from work

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Microsoft.Whore

• View blog

Posted 02 September 2001 - 10:17 PM

odd how this thread just up and died... oh well, perhaps tomorrow when chris finds the answer...
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Head DIC Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 02 September 2001 - 10:25 PM

Well, everyone went to bed, we have a lot of locals, and until I get enough money to pay for the site I don't want to market it... right now I need 19.00 a month for 12 months and i can move this site to another server which will make it faster.. but until then... I can't market it... and we only grow by word of mouth.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Microsoft.Whore

• View blog

Posted 02 September 2001 - 10:43 PM

19 a month...
DWFX... my budding company is sitting on 250MBs of prime server realestate @ www.crystaltech.com  they charge ~19 a month... i don't know what you need, but let me know if i can help in anyway.  if you want to swap info and expertise out for hosting costs, i may be able to see if my partners are agreeable.  shouldn't be too hard to to get you more decent hosting.  of course redirects for domains are a pain... but let me know man... shoot me an e-mail if you want.  [email protected]  
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 02 September 2001 - 11:17 PM

Not quite everyone has gone to bed, but then again I don't live in Rio Rancho. But what I do know about file sharing with W2K is that you can set individual permissions on files and folders. From your Winblows exploder, right click on the file that you are looking to share, choose "sharing", select "share this folder", click on "Permissions" button, it defaults to share with everyone but you can click "Remove" to remove that permission and then click "Add" to add anyone that is in your system.

I do have 2000 but do tend to spend the majority of my time on Linux.

tsmoke

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Microsoft.Whore

• View blog

Posted 02 September 2001 - 11:21 PM

ok, you're right about 2k... that's exactly right.  now, do you know where to find this in the SMC?  I have Xp and the sharing tab in very different.  the SMC in Xp and 2k are virtually identical... i'd like to set individual permissions, but i haven't dug deep enough i guess... any ideas?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 02 September 2001 - 11:35 PM

What are you talking about when you say SMC? Would this be the computer management under administrative tools? A little explanation please.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Microsoft.Whore

• View blog

Posted 03 September 2001 - 12:39 AM

MMC my bad... i keep thinking systems management console.  sorry.  Start -> Run -> MMC
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (3 Pages)
  • +