Getting links

Page 1 of 1

9 Replies - 2482 Views - Last Post: 25 August 2007 - 10:34 PM

#1 tygerberg   User is offline

  • D.I.C Head
  • member icon

Reputation: 0
  • View blog
  • Posts: 124
  • Joined: 14-December 06

Getting links

Posted 27 July 2007 - 04:19 PM

Hi
I started a programming website, but how do I get people to link to me?
Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Getting links

#2 girasquid   User is offline

  • Barbarbar
  • member icon

Reputation: 108
  • View blog
  • Posts: 1,825
  • Joined: 03-October 06

Re: Getting links

Posted 27 July 2007 - 08:38 PM

Try swapping links with another website on the same topic?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#3 ajaymatrix   User is offline

  • D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

Reputation: 1
  • View blog
  • Posts: 410
  • Joined: 15-May 07

Re: Getting links

Posted 29 July 2007 - 07:57 PM

exactly..
start an affiliate program and talk to other webmasters for a possible link exchange...
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#4 skyhawk133   User is offline

  • Head DIC Head
  • member icon

Reputation: 1967
  • View blog
  • Posts: 20,425
  • Joined: 17-March 01

Re: Getting links

Posted 29 July 2007 - 08:39 PM

content, content, content.

Write/Get content that people will want to link to.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#5 PsychoCoder   User is offline

  • Google.Sucks.Init(true);
  • member icon

Reputation: 1663
  • View blog
  • Posts: 19,853
  • Joined: 26-July 07

Re: Getting links

Posted 29 July 2007 - 09:17 PM

You could always do a Google search for link exchanges, there are sites out there that have dedicated themselves to setting up link exchanges.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#6 bgmacaw   User is offline

  • New D.I.C Head

Reputation: 0
  • View blog
  • Posts: 31
  • Joined: 20-July 07

Re: Getting links

Posted 31 July 2007 - 03:03 PM

You have to be careful with link exchanges because it's not only the number of backlinks but also the quality of those links. Google and others tend to discount link farms and many link exchange methods, particularly certain types of paid links. Here are some other ways to develop backlinks:

1. Make meaningful posts in forums in your niche and, if allowed, include your site in your signature.
2. Make meaningful comments in blogs that relate to your niche and include a link to your site.

Note that most WordPress blogs and many forums use 'nofollow' tags that will discount your backlink in Google. Also many forums aren't fully indexed in search engines. However, such links are effective in traffic building and in getting secondary links on other blogs and forums if you have quality content.

3. Submit your site to directory sites, particularly those within your niche. These don't often deliver a lot of traffic but as long as they aren't spammy will help in link building.

There are some other gray or black hat tactics that you can use as well although I won't go into them here. Google and you'll find them although use caution because, used incorrectly, they can cause your site to be delisted/banned.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#7 PsychoCoder   User is offline

  • Google.Sucks.Init(true);
  • member icon

Reputation: 1663
  • View blog
  • Posts: 19,853
  • Joined: 26-July 07

Re: Getting links

Posted 31 July 2007 - 11:46 PM

View Postbgmacaw, on 31 Jul, 2007 - 03:03 PM, said:

You have to be careful with link exchanges because it's not only the number of backlinks but also the quality of those links. Google and others tend to discount link farms and many link exchange methods, particularly certain types of paid links. Here are some other ways to develop backlinks:

1. Make meaningful posts in forums in your niche and, if allowed, include your site in your signature.
2. Make meaningful comments in blogs that relate to your niche and include a link to your site.

Note that most WordPress blogs and many forums use 'nofollow' tags that will discount your backlink in Google. Also many forums aren't fully indexed in search engines. However, such links are effective in traffic building and in getting secondary links on other blogs and forums if you have quality content.

3. Submit your site to directory sites, particularly those within your niche. These don't often deliver a lot of traffic but as long as they aren't spammy will help in link building.

There are some other gray or black hat tactics that you can use as well although I won't go into them here. Google and you'll find them although use caution because, used incorrectly, they can cause your site to be delisted/banned.


I must agree, I thought about this after I made my post and realized my mistake. When I first launched my site I started signing up with link exchanges and noticed some were starting to spam and I got out fast. It's been a while and I forgot about some of the hassles it caused :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#8 Liontrue1   User is offline

  • D.I.C Addict
  • member icon

Reputation: 48
  • View blog
  • Posts: 811
  • Joined: 20-May 06

Re: Getting links

Posted 19 August 2007 - 02:47 PM

Another trick to get links and go up in the PageRank in Google is to create a Google Bomb. This is a popular trick, i'm sure you heard about it. Make a lame web page like freewebs or something then put a ton of links to your page. Only links to your page. You are sure to go up in the PR :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#9 nervegas87   User is offline

  • New D.I.C Head

Reputation: 0
  • View blog
  • Posts: 1
  • Joined: 25-August 07

Re: Getting links

Posted 25 August 2007 - 10:32 PM

View Postalpha02, on 19 Aug, 2007 - 02:47 PM, said:

Another trick to get links and go up in the PageRank in Google is to create a Google Bomb. This is a popular trick, i'm sure you heard about it. Make a lame web page like freewebs or something then put a ton of links to your page. Only links to your page. You are sure to go up in the PR :)

That won't work because Google checks for the IP address of the site when referencing links. If the same IP address has 1,000 links to yoursite.com then google will know something is up.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#10 Liontrue1   User is offline

  • D.I.C Addict
  • member icon

Reputation: 48
  • View blog
  • Posts: 811
  • Joined: 20-May 06

Re: Getting links

Posted 25 August 2007 - 10:34 PM

View Postnervegas87, on 26 Aug, 2007 - 01:32 AM, said:

View Postalpha02, on 19 Aug, 2007 - 02:47 PM, said:

Another trick to get links and go up in the PageRank in Google is to create a Google Bomb. This is a popular trick, i'm sure you heard about it. Make a lame web page like freewebs or something then put a ton of links to your page. Only links to your page. You are sure to go up in the PR :)

That won't work because Google checks for the IP address of the site when referencing links. If the same IP address has 1,000 links to yoursite.com then google will know something is up.


Then create multiple freewebs accounts and put links.. if Google checks for the domain name you're OK, but if it checks for the IP i'm not quite sure what will happen..
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1