ASP.Net Web Application using notepad and csc.exe

Keywords: web application, notepad, c# compiler

Page 1 of 1

4 Replies - 13797 Views - Last Post: 09 August 2007 - 09:33 AM Rate Topic: -----

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

ASP.Net Web Application using notepad and csc.exe

Post icon  Posted 31 July 2007 - 08:04 PM

Hi,

I'm making a short c# tutorial for a class at college. I want to start from scratch, and to do so, I plan to write the first programs in notepad and then use the c# compiler (csc.exe) to build then. I have used notepad and csc.exe (just for the fun) to create console and windows forms programs but I have never tried them for web applications.

I need your help to build a c# web application using notepad and the c# compiler only. The program needs to connect to a database to exercise the ADO.Net libraries.

Regards, Jorge

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: ASP.Net Web Application using notepad and csc.exe

• g+ + -o drink whiskey.cpp
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: ASP.Net Web Application using notepad and csc.exe

Posted 01 August 2007 - 06:04 AM

Hmmm...the code itself can be written in any editor, but for a web application, you'll need to to use a browser (or simulator) to display it. the C# potion can certainly be written and compiled using the bare bones compiler, but there will be an HTML/CSS component to your web application, yes? If so, a browser will be needed to interpret that portion - you'll also have to ensure that you are running an instance of at least a local server (or simulator) to interpret the code.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 01 August 2007 - 01:20 PM

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. I have Visual C# 2005 Express and use VS 2005 Professional at work but my intention is building the application using notepad (or other editor like SciTex) and the c# compiler. The idea is to make a simple to intermediate tutorial for a class (actually my girlfriend's class and to fill a bit my blog) and even though I can start directly from Visual Studio I wish to include a special section of do-it-yourself-from-scratch part that features building a web application just using notepad (for the sake of being the windows universal text editor) and the csc.exe (because it is free). One last note is, (1) how can I do the same but appending the code to the .aspx file? (is this inline code? in which case I suspect it means that the code is compiled and ran at the time the page is requested) and (2) how can I use the beloved file based approach instead of setting up the IIS server for the tutorial idea?

Regards, Jorge
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Google.Sucks.Init(true);
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 01 August 2007 - 01:25 PM

View Postjorgedbucaran, on 1 Aug, 2007 - 01:20 PM, said:

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. I have Visual C# 2005 Express and use VS 2005 Professional at work but my intention is building the application using notepad (or other editor like SciTex) and the c# compiler. The idea is to make a simple to intermediate tutorial for a class (actually my girlfriend's class and to fill a bit my blog) and even though I can start directly from Visual Studio I wish to include a special section of do-it-yourself-from-scratch part that features building a web application just using notepad (for the sake of being the windows universal text editor) and the csc.exe (because it is free). One last note is, (1) how can I do the same but appending the code to the .aspx file? (is this inline code? in which case I suspect it means that the code is compiled and ran at the time the page is requested) and (2) how can I use the beloved file based approach instead of setting up the IIS server for the tutorial idea?

Regards, Jorge

You cannot serve up ASP.Net pages without a server environment. Web applications don't work the same was as windows application, you cannot do this without a server environment.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 09 August 2007 - 09:33 AM

Hello,

Well I found my solution, all I needed was notepad and the Visual Studio WebDev.WebServer.EXE development server and voila.
I have posted an article on this in my blog, since my blog is in spanish the following is the google automatic translation of the post in english.

ASP.Net applications: Notepad and the development server of Visual Studio 2005

P.S: It is translating Visual Studio 2005 to Studio Line of vision. :P
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1