5 Replies - 3101 Views - Last Post: 15 March 2013 - 07:46 AM Rate Topic: -----

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

desktp app to connect to ms sql server

Posted 14 March 2013 - 09:46 PM

I have some data in a text file. Now i want to write an application to send those data to ms sql server running on my pc as a local database. I am a beginner. So can anyone provide some easy tutorial about this?
Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: desktp app to connect to ms sql server

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Re: desktp app to connect to ms sql server

Posted 14 March 2013 - 10:31 PM

So will you be writing this as a windows Form?
i know how to connect to the database and send data to it but is this a project or homework you must do or is it personal work?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 14 March 2013 - 10:35 PM

start searching, this info should be pretty readily available, but without reading them all it's hard to tell what exactly will help you and at what skill level you are at.

Some things to start with
"C# load text file"
"C# create sql server database"
"C# populate sql server database"

play with the search terms and I'm sure you'll be able ot piece something together even without much experience..

If you arent familiar with programming at all, you might try looking at the vb.net examples also, it's UI is a bit more intuitive for the inexperience in my opinion, however any sort of java, javascript, php, c, c++ experience, you're on the right track with c#. You can do everything you want to inside of the visual studio IDE though.
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 14 March 2013 - 10:38 PM

View PostLawlessBaron, on 14 March 2013 - 10:31 PM, said:

So will you be writing this as a windows Form?
i know how to connect to the database and send data to it but is this a project or homework you must do or is it personal work?

it is a personal project i am working on . Actually i am preparing for a contest . And i am building this app just for practise. WPF would be great for me.

View PostTakk, on 14 March 2013 - 10:35 PM, said:

start searching, this info should be pretty readily available, but without reading them all it's hard to tell what exactly will help you and at what skill level you are at.

Some things to start with
"C# load text file"
"C# create sql server database"
"C# populate sql server database"

play with the search terms and I'm sure you'll be able ot piece something together even without much experience..

If you arent familiar with programming at all, you might try looking at the vb.net examples also, it's UI is a bit more intuitive for the inexperience in my opinion, however any sort of java, javascript, php, c, c++ experience, you're on the right track with c#. You can do everything you want to inside of the visual studio IDE though.

thnx,Ihave worked with java and javascript. But i am a beginner at c# and visual studio.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 14 March 2013 - 11:04 PM

ah nice, then yeah, you'll likely be more at home with c#, just start your searching and see where you run into issues, we're more than happy to help if you do, but you shouldn't run into very much that is extremely abstract here.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Xamarin Cert. Dev.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 15 March 2013 - 07:46 AM

From my FAQ list:
Q:... how to do x,y,z with a database {probably for the first time}...
A: Read this tutorial
Entire section of tutorials
Parameterizing Your SQL Queries: The RIGHT Way To Query A Database.
Using SqlDependency to monitor SQL database changes

My standard beginner resources post - Updated JAN 2013

Plan your study route:
There are three routes people seem to take when learning programming.
  • Just start trying to create programs
  • Start taking apart other programs and try to figure out the language by reverse engineering
  • Follow a guided learning course (school or self-teaching books)

For the life of me I can't figure out why people try 1 & 2. I strongly suggest taking the guided learning approach. Those book authors go in a certain order for a reason: They know what they're doing and they know the best order to learn the materials.

• First learn the language by working 2-5 "Learn C# in 30 days" type books cover to cover.
  • Do a dozen on-line tutorial projects where you build what you're told to build, the way you are told to build it WITH AN EXPLANATION OF WHY so you can learn.
  • Learn to plan before you type.
  • THEN you start designing software with a purpose.

I don't learn from reading books: I learn by doing.
Spoiler

Newbie/Rookie said:

I have little/no programming experience but I need to write a program by Friday that does XYZ.
Spoiler

Resources, references and suggestions for new programmers.
Spoiler

Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1