Got stupid?

Any co-worker or boss do something stupid lately?

• (4 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »

47 Replies - 3218 Views - Last Post: 18 September 2007 - 07:05 AM

#1 Martyr2   User is online

• Programming Theoretician
  • member icon

• View blog

Got stupid?

Posted 13 August 2007 - 04:08 PM

A co-worker of mine, who overlooks one of our website programs, has no Internet skills... period. Don't ask me why they hired her to manage an Internet program. :blink: Anyways, a client of ours screwed up part of their website and instead of coming to ask me for a consult on how we can fix it for them, attempted to fix it through a few tools she has access to, making the problem worse. This is the first part of the problem.

I ended up going to her office to ask what is exactly going on (because her "cry for help" emails were making little sense). During the explanation she also mentioned that she was using Google's webmaster tools in an attempt to fix a similar but related issue (even thought I doubt it would). She had been working with the client on it for some time, without even asking me if it was feasible. So naturally I was lost as to what she was even doing and why she was using these tools. I had to stop her and ask "What tools? What code?" and for some reason she thought I knew.

So to make a long story short, now I am having to first run some damage analysis on the original problem (she was going to tell the client something that may not be true because she didn't know the problem) and then research the feasibility of these tools she is "attempting" to use. Twice as much work for me because she thought she could do it on her own. Stupid.

Do you have a story?

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Got stupid?

• D.I.C Addict
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Got stupid?

Posted 13 August 2007 - 04:52 PM

I created some basic Directory & Events Calendar software for a major university (I'll refrain from naming them), and it worked great. Until their "IT guy" touched it. He messed with everything he could think of. His excuse was that "it wasn't secure" (though it was on a private network, created for only the display systems; it couldn't be more secure). .. Long story short ... He called me whining about the software not working, I told him to insert the install disk I sent and double-click "setup.exe". That was the last I heard of their "IT guy". After that though, I knew why they nick-named him "404".

:D
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#3 Martyr2   User is online

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 13 August 2007 - 05:04 PM

haha That sounds pretty stupid all right.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Google.Sucks.Init(true);
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 13 August 2007 - 05:43 PM

The worst one lately at work was this:

At work before anything goes into the production environment it has to go through a code review by another member of the development team. I submit my changes to a member of the team and he actually refused to allow my changes into production because I was using a Try...Catch block where he said "it was impossible for an error to occur".

I learned a long time ago that when you start assuming something cannot happen (in software), the end user will find a way to make it happen.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• The king of Nynex
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 13 August 2007 - 06:06 PM

My boss recently ragged a brand new network socket by moving the box to a different location (pulling all the slack wire through the wall in the process).
He told me one of the two sockets in the box had stopped working, I had only just got into work. Because I didn't drop my bag and coat there in the middle of the floor and rush in like it was a patient in E.R. but chose to go to my desk and get the tools first he decided to try to fix it himself.

When I got there he'd been pushing a flathead screwdriver into the v shaped wire receptacle (that needs a special blade on a push down tool with a u shaped hole in it for anyone who doesn't lay cabling). Not only was there only tiny stubs of wire left too short to actually make a connection but the flat head screwdriver not having a u shaped hole in it just pushed the blades apart of the receptacle and ruined it. Furthermore the second socket had come loose during his efforts. I basically had to replace the whole socket box because instead of waiting for me to get to it with the right tools and some actual knowledge he decided he must be able to fix it (based on what I don't know).

This is the same guy that tries to fix his desktop computer by punching the case when it plays up. Like a good hard jolt is all it needs to get all the delicate circuitry working properly again...even though the problem is usually software based where he frequently abuses his computer (switches the power off without shutting it down as that is quicker, gets impatient when opening a program and repeatedly clicks until several copies open and the machine slows right down so he switches it off at the power and so on).
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Isn't a volcano just an angry hill?
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 13 August 2007 - 10:34 PM

One of my co-workers, actually my manager was moving the desks around and somehow ripped internet chord right out of that clear plastic adapter thingy, and the panel set in the pillar was ripped out with it, and the wires inside were pulled around and popped out of some connectors. He was wondering why the DSL line wasn't working (he was looking under a table elsewhere) and all I did was go over to the table and show him the bare wires hanging out of the destroyed cable.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 13 August 2007 - 10:43 PM

hmm not stupid but funny, over here in afghanistan we have the british vehicles for work vehicles and there right side steering so everytime we go to put the turn signal on the windshield wipers go fast. everyone has done it and everyone laughs everytime hehe

View Postfooboo, on 13 Aug, 2007 - 06:06 PM, said:

My boss recently ragged a brand new network socket by moving the box to a different location (pulling all the slack wire through the wall in the process).
He told me one of the two sockets in the box had stopped working, I had only just got into work. Because I didn't drop my bag and coat there in the middle of the floor and rush in like it was a patient in E.R. but chose to go to my desk and get the tools first he decided to try to fix it himself.

When I got there he'd been pushing a flathead screwdriver into the v shaped wire receptacle (that needs a special blade on a push down tool with a u shaped hole in it for anyone who doesn't lay cabling). Not only was there only tiny stubs of wire left too short to actually make a connection but the flat head screwdriver not having a u shaped hole in it just pushed the blades apart of the receptacle and ruined it. Furthermore the second socket had come loose during his efforts. I basically had to replace the whole socket box because instead of waiting for me to get to it with the right tools and some actual knowledge he decided he must be able to fix it (based on what I don't know).

This is the same guy that tries to fix his desktop computer by punching the case when it plays up. Like a good hard jolt is all it needs to get all the delicate circuitry working properly again...even though the problem is usually software based where he frequently abuses his computer (switches the power off without shutting it down as that is quicker, gets impatient when opening a program and repeatedly clicks until several copies open and the machine slows right down so he switches it off at the power and so on).

i know so many people like that its a great laugh
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#8 Martyr2   User is online

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 13 August 2007 - 10:54 PM

I had a co-worker come to me last Friday and said "The network admin guy is not here, so I want to ask you the question" and so I stopped my coding and said "Sure, what can I do for you?" She then asked me "Yeah my wireless mouse is dead and I don't know how to change its batteries." I then proceeded to take the mouse from her and in less than a second pulled off the panel revealing the batteries. She was like "oh... thanks"

I am thinking "Are you for real?" and went back to my coding.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• code.rascal
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 14 August 2007 - 12:39 AM

Thankfully nothing like this comes to my mind at the moment, maybe I'm doing these things :o
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• The king of Nynex
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 14 August 2007 - 12:49 AM

View Post1lacca, on 14 Aug, 2007 - 12:39 AM, said:

Thankfully nothing like this comes to my mind at the moment, maybe I'm doing these things :o

Have you ever phoned support complaining that you couldn't find the 'any' key?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• lost in compilation
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 14 August 2007 - 04:27 AM

View Postfooboo, on 14 Aug, 2007 - 03:49 AM, said:

View Post1lacca, on 14 Aug, 2007 - 12:39 AM, said:

Have you ever phoned support complaining that you couldn't find the 'any' key?

HAHAHA! I've fixed computers for people who were just this stupid, so i used to carry little orange stickers that said "ANY" and affix them to the Enter keys, so that no one else would have to deal with this problem from them.

I don't have a story quite as intricate as some of you working in the IT world, but i have a computer sitting in my apartment right now in which the lady said (and i quote) "The processor stopped working, I can't get it to start, how much to fix that?" First off, i'm thinking, how do you know it's the processor, and they don't regularly break themselves, but i bite anyway, giving a vague outline based on the items which could be wrong and approximate cost... then i get to see the computer... *head shaking* I don't know how or why, but the heatsink is hanging from it's power cable inside the case. It's a Socket 775 copper core, Intel heatsink, no less, this means somehow, all 4 clips have broken off, except for the 2 which are still attached, but even those look like they've been abused a little, missing little bits, etc. I was afraid to ask how it got to be this way, whether she thought she could remove it, or just kicked it as it seems to be a reasonable thing to do for some, but there it was. The new heatsink should be here tomorrow, so hopefully the processor was not fried as well...
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• The king of Nynex
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 14 August 2007 - 06:11 AM

There was a woman at my last job that used to regularly do really stupid things.
One of the worst was I once found her holding her mouse to her mouth speaking into the base of it then looking angry at the screen.
I asked what on earth she was doing. She said she'd heard you could dictate documents into PCs.
I explained that you needed the right software and a microphone. I have no idea why she assumed the mouse would be the thing she needed to talk into but this is the same woman who kept rebooting her PC then reported it broken as nothing was showing on the screen. 1 second fix, I turned the screen on.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• I liek milk!!1
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 14 August 2007 - 06:30 AM

All of my coworkers are teh smarts and males. Makes for a comfortable, efficient and rumor free working area.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 14 August 2007 - 06:57 AM

Fortunately I don't have any stories to tell, except for managers who would be better off flipping burgers forever (I used to work at a grocery store), but reading all of these stories has been funny. Really, some things people do are absolutely ridiculous.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• code.rascal
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 14 August 2007 - 07:14 AM

A relative was working for a quite strange boss, who knew nothing about computers, so when he was finally sacked, and planned some revenge, he hired robbers to steal the monitors from the office - as he didn't know the data was stored in the mice harddisk.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (4 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »