4 Replies - 3667 Views - Last Post: 05 June 2013 - 09:20 PM

• Games, Graphs, and Auctions
  • member icon

• View blog

[Link] First look: Android Studio eclipses Eclipse

Post icon  Posted 25 May 2013 - 07:05 PM

How many of you all have tried Android Studio? Do you all like it? How does it fare in comparison to Eclipse?

Life for an Android developer has always been pretty straightforward. You downloaded Eclipse and installed the Android Developer Tools. The tools did the job, and they worked more or less as any Eclipse developer might expect. But now, Google is disrupting things by shipping the new Android Studio, an IDE that promises a leap forward to Android developers everywhere.

Although the branding is "Android Studio" and the software comes directly from Google's servers, most Java developers will immediately recognize the toolkit as a version of IntelliJ IDEA, the IDE from JetBrains with a fanatical following. I've known developers who will prattle on about the virtues of running a purely open source shop but change their tune when it comes to IntelliJ. One almost sneered at me for not being professional enough to invest $699 in a great tool that can save hours of work.

http://www.javaworld...es-eclipse.html

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 1
  • +

Replies To: [Link] First look: Android Studio eclipses Eclipse

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Re: [Link] First look: Android Studio eclipses Eclipse

Posted 25 May 2013 - 07:34 PM

I am not sure about Android Studio which is developed by Windows but now I will look into it thanks. :bigsmile:

Android Studio

Although Eclipse Juno it is a lot like the Visual Studio maybe a little better with the way it offers to create things like fields or variables, classes for you on the fly. In other words you can just keep writing for the most part without declaring variables before hand because the intellisense automatically gives you options when you hover over variables or classes ect that have not been declared.
Although since I have not had a whole lot of experience with Java I have had some problems with linking SDK's such as Facebooks Android SDK. I also lack a little bit on understanding the XML side of things as well.

This post has been edited by Toadill: 25 May 2013 - 07:36 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 26 May 2013 - 12:37 PM

View PostToadill, on 26 May 2013 - 02:34 AM, said:

I am not sure about Android Studio which is developed by Windows but now I will look into it thanks. :bigsmile:/>

Android Studio

Although Eclipse Juno it is a lot like the Visual Studio maybe a little better with the way it offers to create things like fields or variables, classes for you on the fly. In other words you can just keep writing for the most part without declaring variables before hand because the intellisense automatically gives you options when you hover over variables or classes ect that have not been declared.
Although since I have not had a whole lot of experience with Java I have had some problems with linking SDK's such as Facebooks Android SDK. I also lack a little bit on understanding the XML side of things as well.

lol. I think you're a little confused. :) It's based off of IntelliJ.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (╯□)╯︵ (~ .o.)~
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 28 May 2013 - 08:38 AM

Eclipse Juno it is a lot like the Visual Studio maybe a little better

Um...what?
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 05 June 2013 - 09:20 PM

View PostCurtis Rutland, on 28 May 2013 - 10:38 AM, said:

Eclipse Juno it is a lot like the Visual Studio maybe a little better

Um...what?

I was referring to the IDE and the ability to just add variables and methods and create them in one click through the intellisense.In other words the GUI is a lot alike at least if you ask me.
Properties window, project explorer, debugger windows, able to set break points.. ect ect.

View Postfarrell2k, on 26 May 2013 - 02:37 PM, said:

View PostToadill, on 26 May 2013 - 02:34 AM, said:

I am not sure about Android Studio which is developed by Windows but now I will look into it thanks. :bigsmile:/>/>

Android Studio

lol. I think you're a little confused. :)/> It's based off of IntelliJ.

It is possible I am confused lol. I just started reading about it when I commented :whistling:
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1