5 Replies - 2680 Views - Last Post: 02 June 2013 - 08:33 PM Rate Topic: -----

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Debugger Busy Can't Get Value

Posted 30 May 2013 - 11:23 PM

Hi Guys,

I have this problem with retrieving data from database. So what I do is give a search keyword then it is passed to MSSQL as a parameter. SQL then returns 3 tables and .NET stores it in a dataset. The data retrieved are used for printing reports using Crystal Reports.

The program has been working well for a month. But today, I encounter a problem as I am trying to retrieve some data. I entered a keyword but it resulted to blank values in my Crystal Report. I tried another keyword and got no problem from the results. I thought it is a problem with the data. When I tried to execute the query directly in SQL while passing the same parameter, I got the tables that I need.

If the data is there, then why is it not shown in my crystal report? So, I debugged my .NET codes.

Opening the dataset visualizer, I noticed cells with red exclamation marks. Hovering the exclamations, a tooltip with the error, Debugger busy. Can't get value., is shown.

I have no idea what caused this. And why is it shown specifically for the same keyword? Is it a problem with the data, the application or the debugger itself?

This post has been edited by November-06: 30 May 2013 - 11:31 PM

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Debugger Busy Can't Get Value

• Futurama: Insert funny joke here
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Debugger Busy Can't Get Value

Posted 31 May 2013 - 01:59 AM

I think this may be a bug.
http://social.msdn.m...ab-fad566b9c491
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 02 June 2013 - 06:07 PM

What should I do with this bug? The project has been working for a month already until this bug appeared. I cleaned up my solution then rebuilt it but still no luck.

I decided to use my last working code that was published successfully but still the error appeared.

Now, I can't proceed with the development. I tried transferring the code to my desktop computer (this is what I originally used when the project started but later switched to laptop for mobility). The red exclamation marks weren't there. The behavior is different in the dataset visualizer but my Crystal report still has empty values.

In the desktop computer which I transferred the codes to, once the dataset visualizer is opened, my table would only show 3 to 5 rows. When I switched to another table's view by clicking Table 2 for example, then switch back to my table, it shows the complete result (meaning all rows). Still, my Crystal report shows empty values which should not be the case since there are data retrieved from MSSQL.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 02 June 2013 - 06:56 PM

Should I just upgrade to higher versions like 2012? Or is there a way to get through with this with 2008?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 02 June 2013 - 08:30 PM

Hi guys,

I just learned what caused the problem. NULL values returned from the SQL query caused the Debugger Busy error in the dataset visualizer. When I queried it to return blank space instead of NULL values, everything worked well.

Sorry, I didn't know datatable columns shouldn't have NULLs.

This post has been edited by November-06: 02 June 2013 - 08:31 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#6 Skydiver   User is online

• Code herder
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 02 June 2013 - 08:33 PM

Turn off the local variables and auto's pane, and instead write some Trace.WriteLine() code to dump out the interesting values that you need to debug the problem. It sounds like the DataSet visualizer is too aggressive in pulling out values from your query.

Some people maybe able to pinpoint some possible issues with your exact query if you post it here rather than just vaguely describing the problem.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1