5 Replies - 1617 Views - Last Post: 26 August 2013 - 06:45 PM Rate Topic: -----

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Book recommendations request

Posted 25 August 2013 - 03:43 PM

Hello.
Me and my friends will want to start a project and i want to learn programming to be a part of the project.
This is what i don't know.. I downloaded the e book by Overland C++ without fear and I kinda got stuck at the function while .. after this I downloaded the book C++ Prime Plus and I can say is more noob friendly ...
I want your advice guys , I'm planning to learn C++ for a gaming project and I need your help, tell me if I'm on the good road with these 2 books. What should I download or what should I buy , tell me witch are the good tutorials for noobs like me.
Thank you very much.
I'm looking forward for your answer.

[Title changed to reflect content of OP's request.]

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Book recommendations request

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Re: Book recommendations request

Posted 25 August 2013 - 04:00 PM

View PostTodokeT, on 25 August 2013 - 07:43 PM, said:

I want your advice guys , I'm planning to learn C++ for a gaming project and I need your help,

Don't go anywhere near games, you're not ready in the least.

View PostTodokeT, on 25 August 2013 - 07:43 PM, said:

tell me if I'm on the good road with these 2 books. What should I download or what should I buy , tell me witch are the good tutorials for noobs like me.
Thank you very much.
I'm looking forward for your answer.

You will need to find what is good for yourself, it's not the same for everyone. Have you checkout out the stickies at the top of this forum for suggestions?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 25 August 2013 - 11:21 PM

I looked into the sticky posts but I told you I don't know which are for beginners , please send me a link or something with the best for beginners.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 25 August 2013 - 11:39 PM

Hello!

Here is a tutorial I found on loops in C++ it looks beginner friendly.
And there is a whole sticky on book sugesstions. I'm not sure which one is the best, and I don't know which one to suggest, but I'm sure you could get something out of all of them.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Knows all, except most.

• View blog

Posted 25 August 2013 - 11:48 PM

When you find a new book, will you just try find another book once you get stuck again? You are giving up too easy, do not expect to be able to just read through any programming book without having to think, or do a little research of your own. It also seems to me that since you are asking for 'good' tutorials, you haven't bothered looking, or are ignorant to the fact that this stuff isn't simple.

There are countless resources for learning, and finding books on the internet, and I'm 100% sure you can find if a book is for beginners or not with a simple Google search. Here is a semi famous page on books you can read: The Definitive C++ Book Guide and List.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 26 August 2013 - 06:45 PM

i don't write C++. C Primer Plus (C Programming) is a horrible book. It's obfucated, doesn't include everything about C, and it repeats topics too much. I suggest you read, C++ Tutorial to understand the basics. "where you go from there is a choice i leave to you" - the matrix

Avoid the Primer books. I regretfully read the whole C Primer Plus book. I found resources online about C that I think is more precise, concise, and those resources were easier to understand. I was fooled to get the book, because I thought a thicker book would be better. It wasn't.

The O'Reily books are okay, but they're excessively long too. Though they usually cover everything.

happy book hunting. : )
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1