11 Replies - 1272 Views - Last Post: 09 September 2013 - 02:52 PM Rate Topic: -----

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Setting up a magnetic card reader on pc as time clock

Posted 09 September 2013 - 01:47 PM

I have a magnetic card reader and I want to set it up on work station for people to clock in with. We use Kronos for timekeeping. Any ideas
Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Setting up a magnetic card reader on pc as time clock

#2 modi123_1   User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Setting up a magnetic card reader on pc as time clock

Posted 09 September 2013 - 01:50 PM

Do you think PHP is really the best way to go about this?

How about checking with the manufacturer to see if they have an available SDK or API. That's always a plus.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Professor Snuggly Pants
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 09 September 2013 - 01:55 PM

If you are already using Kronos, why not use their API for time-punch?

Seems like a large project to reinvent the wheel, when you're already using a wheel.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 09 September 2013 - 01:58 PM

I like php I thought that since the time clock interface is web based and the user has to inter their name and password i could code something to have a swipe from an employee card and have the two text boxes fill with the appropriate info.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#5 modi123_1   User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 09 September 2013 - 02:00 PM

Wait, what? Where did a website come into the process? Are you not telling us the whole workspace? To get an accurate answer you would need to be clear, and upfront with us, about what is going on, moving parts, actors, systems, etc.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 09 September 2013 - 02:06 PM

To no2pencil The area where I would like to put the swipe is a long walking distance from the main punch and im dealing with older individuals that are not computer literate.

Sorry let me lay it out. I have an area far away from the main building that has three employees. They currently clock in through a webpage by inputting user and password. The issue is redundant log in and multiple time stamps so i thought I could eliminate this by giving them a card swipe.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#7 modi123_1   User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 09 September 2013 - 02:13 PM

.. and you have a card WRITER on had, right?

So you wouldn't store their information (login name and password) on the card. Not only is that massively insecure if someone picked up their missing card, but if they change their password they would need to re-write to their card. So a database of some sorts tracking a unique id to the card to the user. Then you would need an app that is triggered by the write to fetch the information and plug it into the Kronos API.

Again - to read the data you'll need to an API/SDK from the company that made the reader.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 09 September 2013 - 02:23 PM

View Postmodi123_1, on 09 September 2013 - 10:13 PM, said:

.. and you have a card WRITER on had, right?

So you wouldn't store their information (login name and password) on the card. Not only is that massively insecure if someone picked up their missing card, but if they change their password they would need to re-write to their card. So a database of some sorts tracking a unique id to the card to the user. Then you would need an app that is triggered by the write to fetch the information and plug it into the Kronos API.

Again - to read the data you'll need to an API/SDK from the company that made the reader.

Im looking at the SDK right know. The user and pass is only for clocking in and out and that's it, that information would get you nothing. As an example this is my number when i swipe (%?;00000010569?)I would like that number to change into my name and password or if you think something else?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#9 modi123_1   User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 09 September 2013 - 02:32 PM

Personally I would not want to be the one response to letting folks go all willy-nilly in the time system - regardless of what you think their current (_OR_ future access levels are), but that's just me. Mr. Cautious and best-practice sort of guy.

At this point why not just have a cheap touch screen monitor that has three giant buttons on it.. one for each employee. When they come in they push the button with their name on it.. boom.. you have been marked as 'in'. When they leave they can do the same. No mucking around with cards, the password information doesn't matter, nor scalability..
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 09 September 2013 - 02:38 PM

View Postmodi123_1, on 09 September 2013 - 10:32 PM, said:

Personally I would not want to be the one response to letting folks go all willy-nilly in the time system - regardless of what you think their current (_OR_ future access levels are), but that's just me. Mr. Cautious and best-practice sort of guy.

At this point why not just have a cheap touch screen monitor that has three giant buttons on it.. one for each employee. When they come in they push the button with their name on it.. boom.. you have been marked as 'in'. When they leave they can do the same. No mucking around with cards, the password information doesn't matter, nor scalability..

Good idea! I like it. I just wanted to play with the card reader. Try something new.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#11 modi123_1   User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 09 September 2013 - 02:42 PM

Playing with it is quite a bit different story than making some sort of dependent/required construct for employees to deal with their login and other things that impact them getting paid sort of thing.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 09 September 2013 - 02:52 PM

View Postmodi123_1, on 09 September 2013 - 10:42 PM, said:

Playing with it is quite a bit different story than making some sort of dependent/required construct for employees to deal with their login and other things that impact them getting paid sort of thing.

Yes well it is part of my job to come up these kinds of things and test them out.

Thanks for the help guy's. Have a great day!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1