which book should I read first to begin ?

I knew a little about cpp,so,what should I do next?

• (3 Pages)
  • +

36 Replies - 14359 Views - Last Post: 13 February 2011 - 11:08 AM

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Re: which book should I read first to begin ?

Posted 15 July 2008 - 12:34 PM

McGraw Hill C Plus Plus from the Ground Up Third Edition

The only book I can offer so far.

I have question myself.
I have read: Programming Windows, Fifth Edition by (Charles Petzold)
And Beginning DirectX 9 by Wendy Jones

I think these two people are complete idiots, because I understood nothing. Don't read these books.

Can someone offer me good OpenGL book? Or just how to setup OpenGL for windows on Visual C++ 2008, coz I always get messages I missing headers glux.h and other stuff
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 09 December 2008 - 10:07 AM

I'm totally new to these forums and to coding in general really but the best way to know if a book is right for you is get a couple of books from a library for 2 weeks or so then see which one you best understand and stick with it.

for people that have never used C++ or any other language to an existent that lets them know how to use the programming languages

the best book I've found is C++ programming for the absolute beginner by dirk henkenmans and mark lee it's much easier to understand than C++ A beginner's guide that herbert schildt has done that expects you to know what he's talking about straight off. (which might be better for people that have used something like visual basic before)

C++ programming for the absolute beginner general talks about C++ as in what commands and libraries are how and why you need to compile a program and the general things before going into anything major first like what (main) is for and doses that the other book doses (which leaving you scratching your head for 20 or so pages trying to see why he's put it there). C++ programming for the absolute beginner also gives examples of coding at every place where need to be shown for you to understand what a function or something else doses if read correctly or if half read correctly you'll get what it is for 5 pages on in the book. it may not be the best book out there but I've only read them 2. but it's a good book for people that have no experience in using the language or any other before.

just some input from a noob to other noobs
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• code > sword
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 09 December 2008 - 02:51 PM

Have a read through this free online resource (as well as looking for books).

http://www.cplusplus.com/doc/tutorial/

Free is always a nice feature.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 08 January 2009 - 08:57 AM

I want to learn how to create GUI's (graphical user interface) with c++, my operating system is Ubuntu Linux, what would be the best book?

I guess it might come under Object Oriented Programming.

Any Thaughts
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 07 March 2009 - 06:20 PM

View PostNickDMax, on 10 Sep, 2007 - 08:02 AM, said:

"Textbook" -- Tend to have a mixture of theory and examples. Much of the material is actually covered in the "Assignments" so you should work the problems. Can be very boring.

"Reference" -- My favorite. These tend to be much more technical. They try to cover a lot of information and tend to have lots and lots of small examples.

I'd like to get one book from these categories. Recommendations?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Code T(h)inkers
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 07 March 2009 - 07:20 PM

Textbook - The one that you will find in the class. There's just so many of them. (I used the Japanese one. You sure you want that? :P)

Reference - Bjarne Stroustrup The C++ Programming Language is a great reference book. Couldn't think of anything else.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Banned

• View blog

Posted 07 March 2009 - 09:51 PM

View Postbobby.l, on 10 Sep, 2007 - 04:29 AM, said:

I knew a little about cpp,so,what should I do next?
which book do you read first?

Hi thread from 2007!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 30 March 2009 - 10:14 AM

Ok since I am new to this programming stuff, I did buy a C++ for dummies book......... is this book really that bad for learning c++?
i was reading comments and it was not given good reference......

Which book should I buy??.. I do have complier though that came with this book.... Guess compilers are basically the same??? thanks for any info.....
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 30 March 2009 - 03:18 PM

am i totally alone in this forum because i didn't learn from books or classes (all tutorials online :D )?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 30 March 2009 - 03:50 PM

View Postpolymath, on 30 Mar, 2009 - 06:18 PM, said:

am i totally alone in this forum because i didn't learn from books or classes (all tutorials online :D )?

Nope! Same here! (Although I do plan to take a formal class eventually)

Hi thread from 2007!

It got über bumped!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Can grep dead trees!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 30 March 2009 - 04:14 PM

View PostKittyKat, on 30 Mar, 2009 - 12:14 PM, said:

Ok since I am new to this programming stuff, I did buy a C++ for dummies book......... is this book really that bad for learning c++?

Which book should I buy??.. I do have complier though that came with this book.... Guess compilers are basically the same??? thanks for any info.....

First off, not all compilers are the same... you should be able to start out in just about any compiler -- but please make sure it is a modern one (none of the TC++ 3.0). There are a number of free modern compilers so there is no need to try to get by on 1980's or 90's technology.

Secondly, C++ for dummies (like many in the mine field of "for dummies" books) is really not a great book, but if it speaks to you then go with it. You will probably find that it gave you a few bad habits here and there, but really so will any resource (esp. online tutorials). So start with what you have and then move from there. There are plenty of online resources that can help fill in the gaps.

Next, this thread as some links to other recommendations that people have made. If you really feel you need a better resource take a look at those recommendations.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 30 March 2009 - 04:19 PM

View PostNickDMax, on 30 Mar, 2009 - 03:14 PM, said:

View PostKittyKat, on 30 Mar, 2009 - 12:14 PM, said:

First off, not all compilers are the same... you should be able to start out in just about any compiler -- but please make sure it is a modern one (none of the TC++ 3.0). There are a number of free modern compilers so there is no need to try to get by on 1980's or 90's technology.

Secondly, C++ for dummies (like many in the mine field of "for dummies" books) is really not a great book, but if it speaks to you then go with it. You will probably find that it gave you a few bad habits here and there, but really so will any resource (esp. online tutorials). So start with what you have and then move from there. There are plenty of online resources that can help fill in the gaps.

Next, this thread as some links to other recommendations that people have made. If you really feel you need a better resource take a look at those recommendations.

Was This Post Helpful? -1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 30 March 2009 - 06:54 PM

I like Bruce Eckel's Thinking in C++ volumes 1 & 2, they are well written and come with plenty of examples
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 30 March 2009 - 10:18 PM

Heres what i used to learn C++,
C++ beginners guide
A good book, covered the basics very well, and it free.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 01 April 2009 - 10:42 AM

View PostKittyKat, on 30 Mar, 2009 - 05:14 PM, said:

Yes, its a fairly poor beginners' book these days because its entire approach is simply outdated and omits many of the very useful, important modern features of C++. Though even when it was brand new it was mediocre at best - there have always been better C++ books around, written by people who genuinely understand the needs of learners, and how to effectively teach the language so that their readers reap the maximum benefit from their time spent.

View PostKittyKat, on 30 Mar, 2009 - 05:14 PM, said:

Read the earlier responses in this thread for some suggestions. Be wary of recommendations from people who are still learning - Learning is always a personal experience for everyone, and often, those who learn from a bad book are equally satisfied with their chosen resource as those who learn from a good book, even if there are those who spent time with the C++ for dummies book and report wonderful things from their own experience, you can make a sure bet that those people will be blissfully unaware of just how many bad habits and how much misinformation they've actually been absorbing, compared with someone who picked up a far more accurate and informed book such as 'You Can Do It' or 'Accelerated C++' - books which aim to teach C++ in such a way that makes the whole experience as useful and insightful as possible.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (3 Pages)
  • +