3 Replies - 2029 Views - Last Post: 22 September 2007 - 11:08 AM Rate Topic: -----

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

starting to learn VB

Post icon  Posted 12 September 2007 - 12:00 AM

im just starting to learn visual basic and i need to contruct GUI using visual basic. I know little in programming GUI using MATLAB but my professor requires me to program it using VB.

Can someone teach me the things i should know first just to get my program started. I really cant start putting functions in my pushbuttons, listbox and textbox.

I need a listbox that will get my input from database but still i haven't started making my database and i think i need different software, foxpro i think, for my database. im not pretty sure how is this done. After i got my lists from my database, i need to choose one entry from my listbox and choose a pushbutton then the name or the entry will have to show up in the textbox.

can someone help me. i know i really suck in programming but i really want to learn.

please please... help

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: starting to learn VB

• dream.in.assembly.code
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: starting to learn VB

Posted 12 September 2007 - 08:25 PM

For your project, you will have to read a lot. Are you learnng VB6 or NET? Foxpro is fine for your database. But try out MS SQL Server 2005. You can download it on www.msdn.com
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 19 September 2007 - 06:08 PM

im reading from books and also from internet... im trying the examples from the book and i think im learning :)

thanks for replying Louisda16th ! :)

question, can i just use excel for my database then just extract it using VB6? btw, im using VB6 :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 22 September 2007 - 11:08 AM

Hi Im in the same Position. At the moment I am using VB Express 2008. I am a Hobbist so I can take my time. The thing i have found difficult is finding out the relationship between the SQL databases and a VB interface. You can download VB 2008 and SQL server express for free from the Microsoft website. However if you follow the tuturials although they are good they really dont teach you how to Query the database to extract the info you reqiure. You can find good info on the DIC tuturials although they can be a bit heavy at times. I have downloaded various tutorials for bedtime reading. Just keep plugging away on the internet to find what you require, I used MYSQL, found it very easy to use but it did not give me what I required.

Try this link

http://msdn.microsof...NQ/default.aspx

This looks like what I am looking for
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1