9 Replies - 1054 Views - Last Post: 23 October 2013 - 03:23 PM Rate Topic: -----

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Extending Vb.net application

Posted 23 October 2013 - 09:57 AM

Hello - This is more of an advice/direction question rather than just code.

I have a fully developed VB.Net application but I am creating a suite of programs. Two of the programs tie into one another.

My question is this - how do I tie the two programs effectively together?

Would it be more efficient to create one large program and turn features on/off based on which product they purchase (if they buy the basic product it comes with some features but if they buy the advanced product it comes with those basic features plus more). The issue is management of code. I don't want to have to update two projects if I create a basic version then another complete assembly that has the basic features and more. So that if something needs changed in the basic model it has to be done in more than one place - thus creating a problem with missing updating one but not the other etc.

I would prefer to somehow have the basic package then they can purchase some type of extension but that the basic program somehow can hook into - any ideas would be appreciated. This is a Windows forms application not a console or web app. Thanks!

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Extending Vb.net application

#2 modi123_1   User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Extending Vb.net application

Posted 23 October 2013 - 10:07 AM

I have a fully developed VB.Net application but I am creating a suite of programs. Two of the programs tie into one another.

My question is this - how do I tie the two programs effectively together?

Is this one app with different levels of functionality, or two separate apps?

There's always this:
http://net.tutsplus....s-with-add-ons/
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 23 October 2013 - 10:11 AM

It could be either one app with different levels of functionality or two apps. (The customer would pay one price for one portion of the app and another for the extra features if I did it that way) Or two separate apps either way. I am really gathering ideas on the best possible way to head forward on this. Basically I would like to be able to have the person be able to upgrade their basic program to add the extra features for the other portion - is this best done as one large app and if so how or as two apps tied together as like an add-on. Thanks!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Senior Systems Engineer
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 23 October 2013 - 10:13 AM

The most effective way is to have one program that features be enabled on the pay-for version. Then when an update comes you have one package to contend with, nut that isn't tying two programs together. Kind of like user roles, depending on what the role is depends on what they can access.

Does that answer your question?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#5 modi123_1   User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 23 October 2013 - 10:17 AM

is this best done as one large app and if so how

A whole mess of rules setup to show/activate controls based on some predefined marker of what level of service the app user has. I've done this multiple times with internal apps (manager functions vs basic data entry monkey functions).. but if you are selling this you have a possibility of this being exploited.

as two apps tied together as like an add-on.

Honestly it's up to what ever you feel like maintaining. Have one common project where both inherit from.. two separate projects period.. one project with some sort of level checking.. plugins.. etc.

Though, if I were you, one project with two levels of functionality would push me against having two separate chunks of code doing the same thing.. so either plugins or the feature enabling.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 23 October 2013 - 10:20 AM

Can anyone provide an easy to understand tut on this? I understand the concept of turning things on or off but what would be the most efficient simple way to implement this? Thanks!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#7 modi123_1   User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 23 October 2013 - 10:23 AM

It's basic roles 101..

'basic user' = 0
'advanced user' = 1

when the app loads it checks your install's location for that information.. based on that the load event enables/disables (hides/shows) menu settings, buttons, etc.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 23 October 2013 - 10:49 AM

So here's the logistics.

So I would still only have one executable?

But when I build the executables for the two separate apps I would turn on or off features?

I mean if I put it in the registration key that can be exploited right? Thanks!

If I put it in a file to be downloaded what would happen if a paying customer would accidentally delete or lose that file? Then the paying customer would not have a working full featured program.

These are the kinds of scenarios running in my head. Or are they unfounded. Thanks!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#9 modi123_1   User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 23 October 2013 - 11:09 AM

So I would still only have one executable?

In theory - yeah.

But when I build the executables for the two separate apps I would turn on or off features?

You can build it that way or have it trigger off some other DRM/serial key/dongle system.

I mean if I put it in the registration key that can be exploited right?

It certainly can.. or you can figure some sort of Software Licensing scheme.. maybe hash out the 'on/off' key and some other factor.. sans the right key it doesn't work.. or encrypt it into the app.config.. what ever suits your model best.

If I put it in a file to be downloaded what would happen if a paying customer would accidentally delete or lose that file?

I don't know - what would you prefer the app to do? Revert to basic mode? Not work completely? Again these are choices for you and your product.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 23 October 2013 - 03:23 PM

View Postkyle_denney, on 23 October 2013 - 10:49 AM, said:

If I put it in a file to be downloaded what would happen if a paying customer would accidentally delete or lose that file? Then the paying customer would not have a working full featured program.

Well, why the costumer would delete an application files if he's still using it and paid for it? That's kinda redundant uh?
Whatever, you could put the file as a warning named "DONOTDELETE".whateveryouwant and check if it exists, but this way this would be easy to exploit in my opinion, i got no experience on this.

This is more explanatory than what i was going to say next. This

This post has been edited by HeBTeMy: 23 October 2013 - 03:23 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1