How long does it take to become a Junior Developer?

• (4 Pages)
  • +

55 Replies - 5267 Views - Last Post: 17 December 2018 - 02:12 PM

• Prince of all (2) Saiyans

• View blog

Re: How long does it take to become a Junior Developer?

Posted 22 November 2013 - 01:54 AM

Sadly though, natural stupidity is more common, and worth more money as well :P
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 26 November 2013 - 01:16 PM

Great feedback so far!

I was expecting to be junior developer material by the time I hit 6-10 months of coding experience.

3-5 years of experience for a junior position? Great!!!! :huh:
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• I make this look good
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 26 November 2013 - 01:18 PM

View Postjuniorcoder20, on 26 November 2013 - 03:16 PM, said:

I was expecting to be junior developer material by the time I hit 6-10 months of coding experience.

3-5 years of experience for a junior position? Great!!!! :huh:/>

Posted Image

If it was easy, everyone would do it.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Nero

• View blog

Posted 26 November 2013 - 02:21 PM

But oh so worth it.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 26 November 2013 - 02:51 PM

View PostCraig328, on 26 November 2013 - 01:18 PM, said:

View Postjuniorcoder20, on 26 November 2013 - 03:16 PM, said:

3-5 years of experience for a junior position? Great!!!! :huh:/>/>

Posted Image

If it was easy, everyone would do it.

Hahaha :)

I don't quite get it though. I thought a junior developer is supposed to be somebody who gets mentored by the senior devs / team leader all the time and barely does anything on his own. I had assumed the junior position is more of a "I need somebody to teach me what programming is" rather than a senior dev. Maybe my understandings of both terms is somewhat distorted :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Nero

• View blog

Posted 27 November 2013 - 05:51 AM

In my recent experience, when someone is looking for a Junior Developer, what they're looking for is this:

• Someone who understands development lifecycles like Waterfall or Agile.
  • Someone who understands object oriented design, data structures, and design patterns.
  • Someone who already knows the programming language they use in their environment.

The expectation is that you should know how to code - even if not best practice, you should understand what you're doing. If you can convey confidence in your ability to quickly pick up a new language, this may help also - I got an offer for a C# Junior Dev role after sitting with the lead architect, discussing my programming knowledge, and explaining that though I had never used C# in any meaningful capacity I was sure I could pick it up without a problem. He was impressed with the way I answered his questions and followed up on them. Contrariwise, I was turned down a role because I didn't know Objective-C, but that company gave me the nicest rejection letter I have ever received in my life.

The expectation is often that what you'll be trained on is specifics, not generals. You should have a knowledge of how versioning works, but you may need to be trained on using Team Foundation Server or Subversion. You should understand how IDEs work, though you may need to be trained on the specifics of Visual Studios, Netbeans, or Eclipse. You should know the basics of SQL.

Keep in mind that you're talking about experience and expectations. 6-10 months of programming experience should definitely be enough to get you in the door. I did it with 13 months. My timeframe was 3 years from graduation. 2 years if you consider my previous job as a development position (it was in a lot of respects, but lacked certain things). If you spend 6-10 months expanding your portfolio you can present it as a body of experience to demonstrate your knowledge. I built websites for friends, volunteered (still do) to build/maintain one major site, built specialized software for friends, etc. Get on LinkedIn, build your network, and select people to offer free software to for the purpose of expanding your portfolio.

It is a lot of work, and it's not easy, but in the end if it's something you enjoy it is totally worth it.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 27 November 2013 - 07:18 AM

View Postdepricated, on 27 November 2013 - 12:51 PM, said:

It is a lot of work, and it's not easy, but in the end if it's something you enjoy it is totally worth it.

I believe you're right on a lot of points, especially this.

You've outlined Junior Developer in the same way I've come to understand the position to be. It is NOT an "I know how to open Visual Studio, pay/train me!" position. I did my 2 years of Tech School, my last semester working 32hrs/week as a Data Analyst (official, but functioned as a Software Developer building miscellaneous applications for processing and labeling of outgoing packages). After those 6 months I got on my last job as an Information Technologist 1 doing Dev work for one of our State Agencies. About 1.5yrs later, I'm here at my current position as a Software Engineer, payed 10K more than my last job.

If you know your stuff, and especially can demonstrate you have the ability to learn and be trained, it is not hard to move up. Also remember, just because a posting calls for 3-5 years experience does not mean it is fully set in stone (this varies by organization). Sometimes IT is so hard up for personnel, they'll take on someone brand new to the game just to try them out. If you scroll up to my last post and read my story, you may also see another piece of advice: Always treat people right and stay in touch, you never know when they may give you a BIG hand up.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• The Ninjaducky
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 02 December 2013 - 08:32 AM

View Postjuniorcoder20, on 26 November 2013 - 03:51 PM, said:

I don't quite get it though. I thought a junior developer is supposed to be somebody who gets mentored by the senior devs / team leader all the time and barely does anything on his own. I had assumed the junior position is more of a "I need somebody to teach me what programming is" rather than a senior dev. Maybe my understandings of both terms is somewhat distorted :)

that's also sometimes known as an intern.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• View blog

Posted 02 December 2013 - 09:49 AM

I'd classify an intern as someone who "gets coffee and might learn something by watching and if they are lucky get hired".

Better to be an Apprentice, where you get taught and get a job at the end of it (usually)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• serial frotteur - RUDEST MEMBER ON D.I.C.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 02 December 2013 - 09:52 AM

you have a pretty shitty intern definition.
Was This Post Helpful? 4
  • +
  • -

• The Noid
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 02 December 2013 - 09:54 AM

View PostDogstopper, on 02 December 2013 - 09:32 AM, said:

View Postjuniorcoder20, on 26 November 2013 - 03:51 PM, said:

I don't quite get it though. I thought a junior developer is supposed to be somebody who gets mentored by the senior devs / team leader all the time and barely does anything on his own. I had assumed the junior position is more of a "I need somebody to teach me what programming is" rather than a senior dev. Maybe my understandings of both terms is somewhat distorted :)/>

that's also sometimes known as an intern.

this.

I started my current gig as an intern, and by proving that I knew what I was doing and could pick things up really fast, I got offered a real job. I quickly left the low pay behind, but that meant that I also left behind the option of not knowing how to do something (google and Amazon to the rescue). This is an industry of quick learners, self-motivators, and a blindingly fast rate of change. You have to keep up-to-date with everything that you touch (and preferrably many things that you may end up needing in the future), which sometimes means buying new versions of books before I've finished the old one. This is one of the better-paid industries you can get into, if you do it right (and if that's your goal), but there's a reason for that.

This post has been edited by h4nnib4l: 02 December 2013 - 09:55 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• The Ninjaducky
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 02 December 2013 - 03:52 PM

View Postbelgarion262, on 02 December 2013 - 10:49 AM, said:

I'd classify an intern as someone who "gets coffee and might learn something by watching and if they are lucky get hired".

Better to be an Apprentice, where you get taught and get a job at the end of it (usually)

That's an administrative assistant. Quite seriously, most tech companies mak sure that their interns are doing a project they can accomplish with some help or guidance, and that they learn something along the way. Especially internships that are coupled with school curriculum (as mine is).

This video was made by some National Instruments interns last year. (No we don't actually get them coffee :P). We typically work on projects that are ultimately part of our actual released projects (LabVIEW, drivers for hardware, etc)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• View blog

Posted 03 December 2013 - 02:06 AM

Admittedly my understanding of what an intern is, is mostly from watching TV. There they are usually the butt monkey i.e. life's spittoon.

Maybe it's a cultural thing. Maybe internship is not as much of a thing here in the UK as it is in the USA?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 06 December 2018 - 04:00 AM

There are many factors that can influence your seniority level. In our IT staffing company we take into account the years of experience:
1-2 years - junior;
3-4 - middle;
5+ - senior dev.
But it also depends on your wish to develop and study. You can master coding faster and practice a lot.
Start from internship - you can work with more experienced guys and learn from them. In addition, it's a good start of your career path.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• The Noid
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 06 December 2018 - 07:26 AM

The related topics section generally shouldn't be responded to. I'm kind of impressed that this one is only 5 years old...
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (4 Pages)
  • +