How long does it take to become a Junior Developer?

• (4 Pages)
  • +
  • « First

55 Replies - 5224 Views - Last Post: 17 December 2018 - 02:12 PM

#46 BetaWar   User is online

• #include "soul.h"
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: How long does it take to become a Junior Developer?

Posted 06 December 2018 - 10:23 AM

View Postjuniorcoder20, on 26 November 2013 - 02:51 PM, said:

I don't quite get it though. I thought a junior developer is supposed to be somebody who gets mentored by the senior devs / team leader all the time and barely does anything on his own. I had assumed the junior position is more of a "I need somebody to teach me what programming is" rather than a senior dev. Maybe my understandings of both terms is somewhat distorted :)

It really depends on the company, but most that I have seen only mentor for 3 to 6 months before they expect people to be self-sufficient. That also varies.

For instance, if you go in to the startup world, you will get 2-5 days of true mentoring and then get thrown in to the deep end. The last startup I was part of wound up giving me stop-ship bugs to work starting my second day. By 3 months in, I was the lead developer on some projects. By a year, I was architecting and implementing features.

So, all companies have ramp-up time, and depending on the world you are going in to, that ramp-up time can be longer or shorter. Startups are very much "hit the ground running and start sprinting soon after", while larger corporations are more "start at a walk and lets try to get to a jog fairly soon". These days I joke with people that our base speed is sprinting and it only gets faster from there.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 12 December 2018 - 08:29 AM

My friend live in Ukraine, and he's been studying Java for approximately 3 years already, and actually he can work on a Middle Dev position with his knowledge, but he still can't find the job, although he even trying to WORK FOR FREE! But NO! No one want to hire him because he haven't any official experience at this position :( And you say $10-15 in a funny sum.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#48 TechnoBear   User is online

• Lady A
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 12 December 2018 - 02:20 PM

View Postmonkeybusinesss, on 12 December 2018 - 09:29 AM, said:

My friend live in Ukraine, and he's been studying Java for approximately 3 years already, and actually he can work on a Middle Dev position with his knowledge

Based on you saying he cannot find work, I'd say he cannot work as a dev with his experience... cause otherwise he'd be working ;)

but he still can't find the job, although he even trying to WORK FOR FREE! But NO! No one want to hire him because he haven't any official experience at this position :(/>

Is he trying to get jobs he thinks he is qualified for, or jobs where he is actually qualified? Also, not sure how it in in the Ukraine, but in a lot of countries having somebody work for you for free is a very difficult line to walk as it's just a hair's breath from breaching exploitation laws. Additionally, if somebody came to me and said they'd work for free I would laugh them out of my office - I don't want someone working for me who believes their self worth is nothing.

And you say $10-15 in a funny sum.

I couldn't be bothered to look for what this was in reference to, but I am assuming to original was discussing per hour rates for junior devs. The reason they likely stated 10-15 was funny would be due to them sharing a similar experience with me where my first junior position was for $50k/pa which would be ~$24/per hour.

$10-$15/per hour is scarily close to minimum wage even for a junior dev.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

#49 BetaWar   User is online

• #include "soul.h"
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 12 December 2018 - 03:10 PM

Agreed with @TechnoBear there, when I was an intern, I was making $30/hour, and that was 7 years ago, so it is likely higher these days.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 13 December 2018 - 01:57 AM

The problem is that organizations don't want even to give him a chance, they don't send him a test task, just say, oh, you don't have experience, sorry. My point is that it's hard to find a job for junior, but I know many people who started to work as a middle developer without Junior experience, but some of them tell HRs that they worked as freelancers, and under an NDA, they have no right to talk about their projects :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• The Noid
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 13 December 2018 - 09:27 AM

Has your friend considered doing freelance work, so he could use the same tactic as those other people without having to lie about it?

Also, "studying a language" and "working as a professional developer" are two very, very different things. Writing code in a language and solving enterprise-grade problems in a language are as different as high school essays are from Supreme Court opinions.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

#52 NeoTifa   User is online

• NeoTifa Codebreaker, the Scourge of Devtester
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 13 December 2018 - 10:45 AM

I basically threw shit at the walls to see what stuck, and finally got an offer at IBM doing super entry level contract work. All you need is to get your foot in the door. Just spam apps and resumes to everybody, big or small.
Was This Post Helpful? 3
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 17 December 2018 - 01:21 AM

View PostNeoTifa, on 13 December 2018 - 10:45 AM, said:

I basically threw shit at the walls to see what stuck, and finally got an offer at IBM doing super entry level contract work. All you need is to get your foot in the door. Just spam apps and resumes to everybody, big or small.

Absolutely agree. The biggest problem for him - is diffidence.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#54 no2pencil   User is online

• Professor Snuggly Pants
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 17 December 2018 - 07:16 AM

View Posth4nnib4l, on 13 December 2018 - 11:27 AM, said:

Has your friend considered doing freelance work, so he could use the same tactic as those other people without having to lie about it?

I noticed that this question didn't get addressed. I was going to suggest the same thing. One can make experience happen by taking work on job hiring sites like Fiverr, or even doing simple stuff like making custom html templates on sites like eBay.

When I was trying to get into IT in my mid to late 20's, I was having the same issue. It's all about how you sell yourself. Eventually I migrated my previous non-IT work experience into IT work experience by changing the focus. For example, when I worked in a factory doing rational molding, while not IT work, I did have to make alterations to cooking temperatures, oven times, & log all changes. This became data entry, data integrity, & process documentation. For months I combed over my resume & work experience until it became close enough to what the requirements were in the industry.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• The Noid
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 17 December 2018 - 08:33 AM

Exactly. And even if you're not actually getting the contracts, you can see what people are asking for and prototype solutions as practice.

I did the same thing with my Marine Corps experience. It's honestly a manifestation of skills you need as a programmer - take a set of requirements that are in the "language" of a different area of business, and translate them into functional requirements.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• 😂😂😂
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 17 December 2018 - 02:12 PM

For me this is why I do freelance programming; I am adding to my resume every project, even when working for free.

I've only been doing it for 3 years though so I doubt any company will hire me for fulltime dev work anytime soon. It doesn't matter though; if you develop good software, eventually the job will come with enough applications.

The hard part for me is finding projects that are interesting and yet do-able for a single dev.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (4 Pages)
  • +
  • « First