5 Replies - 1120 Views - Last Post: 28 November 2013 - 02:55 PM Rate Topic: -----

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

New to programming

Posted 25 November 2013 - 08:27 PM

Hello, i have been trying to learn Java for awhile but i have problems finding good websites to learn Java. Could you give me some tips of websites you recommend for a newbie.

I have been looking around for websites but i easily get drowned in the texts which ends up with that i give up for the day.

Best regards Robert.
Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: New to programming

#2 modi123_1   User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: New to programming

Posted 25 November 2013 - 08:40 PM

I would recommend getting a book.. something with decent ratings on amazon, something off the 'Best beginner's book' pinned thread, and to flip through the tutorials here.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 25 November 2013 - 08:41 PM

I recommend Head First java, second edition. It seems long but its a fast read because it just has lots of pictures. Teaching yourself online is kind of boring, at least for me, I had to keep rereading the examples. Head first provides examples that are easy and stick. I think if you are learning python then online is the way to go, but for java I would recommend the book. If you don't want to pay for it, then I think this is a great tutorial http://chortle.ccsu....cs151java.html.

If you do get the book, it only took me 3 weeks to read and I only read like 1-3 chapters a day. You can even skip the last two chapters as they just go over making a jar and RMI, which you can read when you want to do it. The one down side of the book is that they don't give you that many examples or questions, at least in my opinion. I am in the process of going through Martyr2's mega project list and that will be good exercise right after the book.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 28 November 2013 - 01:15 PM

Thank you for the input, i will start looking for a suitable book in order to try it the good old fashioned way.

Best Regards Robert.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 28 November 2013 - 02:02 PM

Hi books are great, however i prefer to learn more technical subjects (especially computer related) from videos. Many people will say that newboston tutorials on youtube are great, which of course they are, however i prefer the website udemy.com and John Purcell's course on Java for complete beginners. His videos are a bit more sophisticated/professional compared to newboston.

This way you may have a glimpse of Java without spending money on a book that would just sit on your self collecting dust ;)

If i keep on learning java i will definitely go for Head first java which was already recommended.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#6 macosxnerd101   User is online

• Games, Graphs, and Auctions
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 28 November 2013 - 02:55 PM

We have a good thread Getting Better at Programming Java and a Java Book Recommendation Thread you should check out.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1