3 Replies - 1287 Views - Last Post: 18 December 2013 - 02:36 AM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

How nuch Java should you know before moving to Android?

Posted 28 November 2013 - 10:17 AM

Hi there, I am currently dabbling in Java and have so far learned about classes, arrays, IO, objects, and how inheritance works. If I wanted to learn Android, should I first learn as much Java as possible, or is this sufficient to have a strong enough grasp for beginner android books and lessons?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk
Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: How nuch Java should you know before moving to Android?

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: How nuch Java should you know before moving to Android?

Posted 28 November 2013 - 12:37 PM

I would say try to learn as much of the basics as possible. That is when you are developing an Android app, the basic Java syntax and core features should be second nature. You shouldn't have to reference somewhere for example for the basic OOP concepts - inheritance, polymorphism etc. I would say its also useful to have a good grasp on generics.

Its a good idea to have a solid base to build on with Android. If not then things are going to take much longer than they should.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 02 December 2013 - 11:42 PM

I do see this thread is some days old but I thought I would give my input anyway. I would earn the basics of Java at the very least first before moving on to programming for Android. I've found myself making the mistaking of jumping into Android, thinking I would learn Java as I go along. In the end, I've found myself wasting time trying to research the most basic of Java that I should have learned before hand. Some may disagree with me but I think it would be better to get comfortable with Java first.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 18 December 2013 - 02:36 AM

I just started working with Android so my opinion probably doesn't mean much. But I have been working with Java for about a year now.

I don't see why you can't learn Java and Android programming at the same time. The biggest difference between a Java program and an Android app is the GUI. If you're not planning to write Java applications, you could just pretty much skip over the use of awt and swing because Android has it's own way of doing GUI.

The only drawback of learning basic stuff on Android is the speed of the emulator. It's really god awful slow. But if you're practicing simple stuff, it shouldn't be a problem.

I think a good test to see when you're ready is read Android's Developer Training section. If you understand what they are talking about, then you're definitely good to go. If you kind of understand, I'd say you're still good to go. But if it seems like they are talking jibberish, than you should probably learn more.

Good luck and remember to have fun!

This post has been edited by toad87: 18 December 2013 - 02:37 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1