2 Replies - 1515 Views - Last Post: 24 January 2014 - 04:57 PM

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Disaster Relief?

Posted 24 January 2014 - 04:09 PM

So I'm graduating soon, and I got a call from a company who is interested in me. The position they have open is in disaster relief. I'm not 100% on what this entails. We touched on it briefly when I took a networking class, and the gist was getting the information off-site in the case of an emergency.

The strange thing is, my resume is pretty much all programming related. This doesn't seem like something where my programming skills will be utilized, or am I wrong? This is a very large company mind you, you've heard of it.

I'm very much interested in being a programmer, and I'm wondering if this is really down my ally. This isn't the only job I am entertaining, but this is the only one with a big company, the rest are more or less medium sized that are very regional.

So, do you think this involves programming on any level?

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Disaster Relief?

• Programming Theoretician
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Disaster Relief?

Posted 24 January 2014 - 04:19 PM

Well it can always include a little bit of programming. After all programming is the oil for the information machine. However I couldn't say that it includes much of it. Sounds like it is more about setting up procedures and protocols for disaster recovery of data which will probably include enterprise software out of the box and battle tested. But who knows. Just ask the company and keep in mind that interviews are just as much about you interviewing them than it is them interviewing you.

Big companies are not all that anyways. They are often slow to adopt new stuff and everyone gets political and complacent. If you are looking to grow and have fun, I find smaller companies good. Established beyond a startup and can afford to pay you, but not so slow that it takes them like 3 months to make a decision on which IDE they want to use for a project.

:)
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• Xamarin Cert. Dev.
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Disaster Relief?

Posted 24 January 2014 - 04:57 PM

I second that. I'd rather big a big fish in a little pond.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1