2 Replies - 1605 Views - Last Post: 26 January 2014 - 06:16 PM Rate Topic: -----

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

p2p chat program, trouble reproducing program crash

Posted 26 January 2014 - 04:58 PM

I started writing a simple windows presentation foundation tcp p2p chat program to learn about WPF and TCP programing in C#. I have a basic version of the program that works as expected between my machine and a virtual machine. However when I send it to friends to test it, they report the program crashes with the windows message "the program has stopped working" after adding my IP address. I see that they have successfully made a connection to me, and I have sent a response back to them, to which I don't receive a response. I have a lot of try/catch blocks printing any errors to the program window, and have added an unhandled exception handler to try and get any error messages back from them. However they see nothing.

I have been unable to reproduce this crash between my machine and the virtual machine I have been testing with, I am completely lost on how to debug this and was hoping somebody with visual studio would be able to reproduce the crash and give me back what the error message is.

I have included the visual studio 2012 project.

Attached File(s)

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: p2p chat program, trouble reproducing program crash

• Xamarin Cert. Dev.
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: p2p chat program, trouble reproducing program crash

Posted 26 January 2014 - 05:59 PM

Any chance your friend is using a laptop? He could come to your place and test on the same network.

Also, you can use remote debugging tools (free on MSDN, just google "Visual Studio Remote Debugging.") on your friend's machine. That would let you two work in the same room, and let your Visual Studio debug directly to your buddy's machine.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Re: p2p chat program, trouble reproducing program crash

Posted 26 January 2014 - 06:16 PM

No they don't have laptops. But on another note I figured out why it was crashing and not printing an error. I forgot to uncheck "Enable the Visual Studio hosting process"
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1