just got a new job... thoughts on contract?

• (2 Pages)
  • +

17 Replies - 3185 Views - Last Post: 30 January 2014 - 07:42 PM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

just got a new job... thoughts on contract?

Posted 27 January 2014 - 05:35 PM

So i just got a new job for a social/business platform that needs help developing their web app for release

they are singing me at $25/hr, but here is the catch.

the contract states they will only pay me $250 max a week ( 10 hours ) and everything else ( beyond 10 hrs ) will be banked. so if i work 30 hrs in the week, i get paid $250, and bank $500. after 4-6 months they will review my status as an employee and sign me onto a salary with benefits, and give me a check for the full amount of banked hours, which should be thousands at that point.

what are your thoughts, my brother is saying they want to scam my work and then not pay me.

they are very legit people with a cool idea, the CEO is a retired man and his son is the exec ceo, we met at an expensive country club, and everything seems legit.

am i being scammed or what? thoughts, or anything? please discuss.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: just got a new job... thoughts on contract?

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Re: just got a new job... thoughts on contract?

Posted 27 January 2014 - 07:27 PM

View Postmathersi, on 27 January 2014 - 05:35 PM, said:

they are very legit people with a cool idea, the CEO is a retired man and his son is the exec ceo, we met at an expensive country club, and everything seems legit.

I completely understand networking. But that line makes it sound fake. take the risk? I'm not sure honestly. But if you have a contract where they will pay you for 10 hours then 250 for every ten after and say they dont pay you. You just stop showing up and not doing work right? Id keep looking personally.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Professor Snuggly Pants
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 27 January 2014 - 07:58 PM

If you are on contract, that amount is likely their budget. My suggestion is to get a lawyer & review the contract. If you feel comfortable that you can accomplish the job within the time budget, then go for it. If you feel you deserve the over (bank?) pay after 10 hours, then I suggest not taking it.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 27 January 2014 - 10:26 PM

These people are crooks. Run away.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 28 January 2014 - 04:07 AM

I would suggest that they are looking to gain your experience at a cut price and will not honor the extra that you bank. Their will be a clause somewhere that will get them out of this. Check the full contract in detail before deciding.

I work in recruitment in the UK and this does sound very dodgy and not worth risking, I feel you will put time and effort in and not get paid. If you want to take the risk, I would put in the 10 hours a week max to start and see how they are at paying you, if all is OK maybe take the risk to work more.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Saucy!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 28 January 2014 - 05:30 AM

If you only get the banked money if you're hired on full time, then I can definitely foresee them saying "We don't think this is going to work out", getting all that extra work for free, and then finding the next sucker.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 28 January 2014 - 05:58 AM

This has "sucker" written all over it

hey you can cut my grass this summer-- ill pay you $25 on the initial cut and then ill bank your pay for the rest of the summer. after you cut my yard the rest of the summer i will not take the last cutting thus not have to pay you
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Prince of all (2) Saiyans

• View blog

Posted 28 January 2014 - 08:52 AM

If you think you can do the job at only 10hrs a week, then just do that, and see what happens at the end. Since that is a light workload you can continue looking for other work (and even doing other work) at the same time.

I agree with everyone that it seems too good to be true though. That said, what if it is true...

Posted Image

Also,
Spoiler

This post has been edited by belgarion262: 28 January 2014 - 08:54 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 28 January 2014 - 08:59 AM

Just to confirm, if I don't get full time salary employement with them after this 6 month period, they said im guaranteed the pay regardless.

I am thinking of telling them I am fine with 20 hrs a week rather than 10 hrs.

Also, maybe just sticking with 10 hrs a week for maybe a month, and then telling them that I will quit unless they do what I want, since I am the only one working on the project in regards to software, they will basically NEED ME, more than I need them.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• View blog

Posted 28 January 2014 - 09:03 AM

View Postmathersi, on 28 January 2014 - 03:59 PM, said:

Just to confirm, if I don't get full time salary employement with them after this 6 month period, they said im guaranteed the pay regardless.

I am thinking of telling them I am fine with 20 hrs a week rather than 10 hrs.

Also, maybe just sticking with 10 hrs a week for maybe a month, and then telling them that I will quit unless they do what I want, since I am the only one working on the project in regards to software, they will basically NEED ME, more than I need them.

Ah, it seemed from the original post that the banked money was contingent upon being hired full time. I'd still advise a most careful purview of the contract anyway.

And making demands of them might not be the best way to go a about things. Yes you might be the only one on the project but there a lot of people out in the world who will probably be able to do it. If you make too much fuss they might just decide to look elsewhere.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• #include "soul.h"
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 28 January 2014 - 09:06 AM

I agree with the others, this seems fishy.

There should be companies out there that are 100% legitimate (as in you have heard of them before, and know of their reputation) who pay as well (if not better) and will offer you a larger work allotment (20 hours is the standard part time employee, 40 for full time). Actually, almost any CS internship should be in the $20+ range and allow between 20 and 40 hours of guaranteed pay a week -- I'd suggest looking for one of those.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• View blog

Posted 28 January 2014 - 09:15 AM

Ha, I'm being paid 2.95/hr , which works out less the $5/hr :P
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 29 January 2014 - 08:10 AM

I would be very wary of this kind of deal for a couple reasons.

1. Can you live on $250 dollars a week. Since you are contract that means you will be required to pay a good portion in Self Employment tax. Basically on 250 a week I would plan on only being able to spend maybe 175 of it. Also are they going to lock you in meaning that they will not allow you to "Moonlight" in any other contracts?

2. If they are expecting you to work more then 10 hours a week, but only willing to pay you 10 hours a week because that is the "Budget" they have set, are they really that trustworthy? Any company that is honestly looking to hire a contractor will pay that contractor for every hour they work when they work it.

Ultimately it is up to you on if you are going to take this or not, but like others have said, get a lawyer to look over the contract before you sign it. They are going to put in clauses and phrases that their lawyers came up with that you might not fully understand. Also make sure that you are invoicing them for every hour that you work so that you have a record of it. I would also keep a log of every hour you worked and what you did during that hour. Make sure your record keeping is extremely precise. I can promise to pay you for your time at a later date, but if I dispute that the time you put in was actually working toward my end goal it's up to you to prove it was or I can just not pay you claiming you were not actually working during that time.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#14 modi123_1   User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 29 January 2014 - 08:19 AM

View Postmathersi, on 28 January 2014 - 09:59 AM, said:

[...]

A point here - when you start saying statements like this then you are entering dangerous waters. First - it is rarely true. Yes.. you maybe the only person on the project, but doesn't mean they can't move on sans you. You are not the only snowflake out there. They can have someone else redo the code from the ground up, or schlock the code to 'rentacoder' and have them beaver away at it.

Second - ignoring the fact that you are the only developer what position and leverage do you have to start making demands? Hells bells if I caught wind of that sort of attitude I wouldn't bat an eye and say "don't let the door hit you in the ass on the way out". At worst you tied up a bit of financing and pushed the project back a month or two.

Basically - you may want to reframe your views.
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• Cabbage
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 30 January 2014 - 10:51 AM

It's exploitation plain and simple. Who works a job where they get paid 4--6 months after the work? Who can afford to live like that? You need to question their motives.

Is it because they don't have enough money? If the project is a flop then they might never have the money.

If they have enough money then maybe they just plan on ripping you off.

Maybe they want to prevent you leaving mid project. If that's true then it's a shitty way to motivate employees.

Whatever way you look at it, it's a bad deal.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (2 Pages)
  • +