6 Replies - 923 Views - Last Post: 28 January 2014 - 08:40 PM Rate Topic: -----

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Biggest changes going from VB6 to VB.Net

Posted 28 January 2014 - 12:43 PM

I started programming a LONG time ago. From 1994 to about 2003, I programmed a lot of VB6 code. Learning how to connect to a database was the hardest thing for me. I had finally gotten a grasp of it when VB6 changed to VB.Net, and with that change, I decided to leave VB programming and focus on MS Access development.

Well, the job market is lean and I need to refocus on VB.Net. I know most of it from my old knowledge. And, with help, I learned how to connect to MS SQL. It is still kinda rough. That is why I am here.

Now, having said all that, what would you say I need to prepare for in the culture shock going from VB6 to VB.Net?

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Biggest changes going from VB6 to VB.Net

#2 modi123_1   User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Biggest changes going from VB6 to VB.Net

Posted 28 January 2014 - 12:47 PM

That's hard to say.. why not pick up a .NET book and go through it?

what would you say I need to prepare for in the culture shock going from VB6 to VB.Net?

Oh, and don't be bitter. Trying to learn something - while being bitter about having to learn it - isn't productive.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Dreaming Coder
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 28 January 2014 - 12:48 PM

They are two completely different languages. If you try to think of VB.NET as a simple successor to VB, you'll will find only pain and suffering. They share only some syntax similarities.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 28 January 2014 - 12:53 PM

What I got bitter about is that learning to connect to databases was the biggest learning curve in VB6, for me. When I finally got it, they go, "You know that way we have been doing things forever? We're changing it.", and, "We're aren't supporting the old way, at all. Good luck!"

I hadn't thought of VB.Net being a different language. I was thinking it was like knowing Queen's English and learning to speak in an AMerican dialect. But rather, it is like knowing Spanish and having to learn to speak Portuguese.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#5 andrewsw   User is online

• blow up my boots
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 28 January 2014 - 01:20 PM

You may find it useful to search "difference between.." or "compare vb6 vb.net". For example:

http://www.thescarms...VB6vsVBNet.aspx

It might be worth a quick read. However, I think you are better advised, as already mentioned, to treat it as a completely different language - which it is. Constantly thinking back to how you coded in VB6 will only be a distraction, and perhaps inhibit your progress.

(Besides, you haven't coded in VB6 for many years, so it shouldn't be too tricky to ignore.)

This post has been edited by andrewsw: 28 January 2014 - 01:23 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Dreaming Coder
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 28 January 2014 - 01:24 PM

Well, programming is programming. The important thing is to have learned how to program in any language well. Those languages will not be the same in the future. My first language was BASIC ( with line numbers ), which I consider one of the truly dead programming languages. Second was Pascal, also mostly dead. Even versions of C and C++, still alive and well, have changed. Languages change. Don't get attached.

In VB.NET you'll find many familiar little constructs. But that humble Dim hides the heart of an entirely different beastie.

There will always be a new way to do something. It is the nature of programming. Indeed, VB.NET today is quite different from it's first iteration. You can still mostly use .NET 1.0 code, but it will look old and sorry compared to .NET 4.5, with snazzy lambdas and LINQy things.

Pick a language and start to play. But, um, don't think VB6 will help much. Sorry.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict

• View blog

Posted 28 January 2014 - 08:40 PM

If VB6/VBA is an apple, then VB.Net would be an orange. Both are fruit, both grow on trees, and both are tasty. If however you try and eat an unpeeled orange like you might an apple, you are in store for a pretty sour taste.

This can be a huge subject, but most all of it will ultimately boil down to in some way shape or form being related to object oriented programming. One might think an obvious answer would be the .Net Framework... which is at it's heart a collection of objects. Virtually everything you work with in VB.Net is an object, even those items that don't appear to be on the surface. Wrapping your head around OOP concepts especially if demonstrated in VB.Net would be a good place to start. You might see some new and different syntax but you should generally get the gist of what's going on, and can pay closer attention to the OOP concepts. Closely tied to this you'll benefit almost immediately from learning to create your own classes.

I have to recommend Francesco Balena's VB.Net Core Reference book from MS Press. Yes even with revisions it's getting dated, Yes it's 1500 or so pages, and Yes you can find it all on the internet (well probably) but.. It's fairly cheap, around 20 bucks on amazon, you don't have to read it cover to cover, but it presents everything in a very well organized format. Plus it can be used as a weapon if need be :smile2:. Really though if you learn well from books, it covers .Net fundamentals, but what I really liked about it was that it grouped familiar .Net versions of VB6/VBA elements with similar VB.Net specific objects that preform similar utility and function.

This post has been edited by thecoat: 28 January 2014 - 08:41 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1