4 Replies - 1674 Views - Last Post: 03 February 2014 - 04:21 PM

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Java in 6 days?

Posted 03 February 2014 - 09:40 AM

I have been assigned a task to teach Java to my juniors. I have 6 days, 1.45 hrs each i.e. total of 10.5 hrs. I wonder what are the topics should I cover in 6 days and would possibly be boon for them. Please give me advice, what topics should I go for? It is for sure I would not be able to complete even basic part in 6 days. But even if I have to, then what would it would be?
Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Java in 6 days?

#2 macosxnerd101   User is online

• Games, Graphs, and Auctions
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Java in 6 days?

Posted 03 February 2014 - 09:42 AM

My thread Getting Better at Programming Java is a good starting point. Without knowing what the expected skillset is of the students, it's hard to say where a good starting place is.
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 03 February 2014 - 09:50 AM

Thank you very much Mac.....
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#4 modi123_1   User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 03 February 2014 - 09:53 AM

Grab any 'learn java in X days' book.
Condense the first fist full of chapters..
Profit!
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Cabbage
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 03 February 2014 - 04:21 PM

Are they already proficient in another language? You could spend they first day glossing over "Here's how to do a loop, here's how to write a class, here's how inheritance works, etc...)

Look up a bunch of articles like "Java for C programmers", "Java for Haskell programmers" and go over the differences they will find. You can tailor this part if you know the background of your students.

Then you can cherry pick topics to go over. If it were me, I might choose Collections, JUnit, Generics, Concurrency, IO, JDBC, etc... Depending on the audience, you could introduce Swing, Java EE, Hibernate (or other ORM), Deployment, etc.

Obviously, this is far too much. You'll have to choose what to go for and accept that you will only be able to give an introduction to each topic. 1:45 hours sounds ideal for a 45 minute lecture and an hour practical.

The topics I have suggested are around getting familiar with the Java ecosystem. None of them are really teaching how to program. For a class of beginners, the course will have to be very different.
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1