5 Replies - 2364 Views - Last Post: 07 February 2014 - 08:36 PM

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Creating a Portfolio Website

Posted 03 February 2014 - 07:06 PM

Hello everyone. I am looking to create an online portfolio since I will be applying for internships soon.

I have a few questions.

What site should I use? I started making a simple site using wordpress but then it said they sometimes use ads and to remove those ads would cost $30 a year.

I think godaddy is having a sale where you can get a month for $1, should I just try that out and see what I can make using their website creator?

I'm kind of lost when it comes to this stuff.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Creating a Portfolio Website

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Re: Creating a Portfolio Website

Posted 04 February 2014 - 08:32 AM

What are your skills in terms of web development? I'd buy a cheap domain, cheap hosting and make a very simple site that shows my portfolio, resume and contact info. But everyone is different. For you, a template might be best. But I don't know your skills and ability, so I'm not sure the best advice to give you.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• SCIENCE!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 05 February 2014 - 02:43 PM

Smashing Magazine made a great article with some steps for having a good portfolio website: 10 Steps To The Perfect Portfolio Website.

If you have skills in web design/development I would suggest you to build your own website from scratch, making it unique. Otherwise you can always grab a WordPress theme and add/edit things following that article and you'll have a very good portfolio too.

About hosting I would suggest you to get a server from DigitalOcean, since you get a lot for your money and the $5/mo plan would be more than enough for your portfolio, and you can also use it for other projects which you may have.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 07 February 2014 - 12:20 PM

If your portfolio is for something web development related (or even programming) I would not use a template or a "fill in the blanks" option. That's like showing that you know how to work on cars by demonstrating how to schedule an appointment with a garage.

As others have suggested, get a cheap domain, cheap hosting from a good company, and make a few simple pages in Notepad. For web hosting, I wouldn't go for the cheapest of the cheap as it can make sense to pay a little more (ie. $1 extra) for another company. GoDaddy and 1&1 are usually really cheap but I don't like to deal with their interface and their customer service leaves more to be desired. 1&1 is especially bad. Their web control panel is so slow it makes me rage. I've been using Total Choice Hosting and I really like them. ~$3 a month for good service, good interface, and good support. You have many other options to, just keep in mind it may be worth the extra $12 a year to not find the cheapest possible.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 07 February 2014 - 02:35 PM

I do not know much about web programming.

I may see if my friend can throw together a simple page for me though since he is in a web programming course.

I've asked my professor on how to put code/programs on a website and he said to just give a snipped of the code and possibly a download link.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 07 February 2014 - 08:36 PM

View Postc00lkent, on 07 February 2014 - 04:35 PM, said:

I do not know much about web programming.

I may see if my friend can throw together a simple page for me though since he is in a web programming course.

I've asked my professor on how to put code/programs on a website and he said to just give a snipped of the code and possibly a download link.

If I may ask, what are you making your portfolio website for? What are you planning to display on it, what's your field? I may be able to help you out, PM me.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1