3 Replies - 2193 Views - Last Post: 13 February 2014 - 10:20 AM

• sudo apt-get install brain
  • member icon

• View blog

Working in an I.T. Company

Posted 06 February 2014 - 02:15 PM

I'm currently doing an I.T. course now that I've finished (the equivalent of) high school and have been selected to go on a work exchange in another European country along with 5 others, of which I am the youngest. I'm rather nervous about it. Based on some information I give an agency, work will be found for me for four weeks. I did some research and people usually get work in an I.T. consulting company but more specific jobs are found based on your skills. As I've been programming since I was 14 I felt confident in my ability to program and handle myself with computers very effectively but now that I will have to work I'm worried my skills won't match up to any standard as I have no sort of qualifications. Does anyone know how I can test myself to ensure I am able to work in any way decently in such work?

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Working in an I.T. Company

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Working in an I.T. Company

Posted 06 February 2014 - 02:24 PM

There's no 'test' really. It's a matter of:
1. Can you follow direction?
2. Do you find yourself asking "where to I start?" when presented with any project?
3. Can you debug in your given programming language?
4. Do you find yourself not planning before you program?
5. Do you find yourself scrapping multiple project starts?

There's no way to tell if you are 'able to work in any way decently' without being exposed to it. If these companies are picking up some sort of quasi-interns for a few weeks then I would expect them to know you will be running around confused and inexperienced.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• sudo apt-get install brain
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 06 February 2014 - 02:30 PM

Thank you, that was helpful.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 13 February 2014 - 10:20 AM

The thing about it is that you won't know what skills you lack until you try to do the job. In a program like this you're not likely to get fired or anything for not having the skills/experience you need. These programs are for giving you those things.

For me the biggest thing has always been don't be afraid to admit you're not sure what to do and ask for help.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1