11 Replies - 1320 Views - Last Post: 14 February 2014 - 05:05 PM Rate Topic: -----

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

[Help] Java Level Editor for 2D MMO

Posted 14 February 2014 - 09:39 AM

So considering that i have little to no experience programming editors. Where exactly would i start programming something like this. My friends are creating art for the project. I am just creating the level editor. If anyone could help me with the basics or help me through the whole process of coding it that'd be great. Also this game'll probably be released to the public for free via github or something... idk.
Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: [Help] Java Level Editor for 2D MMO

#2 modi123_1   User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: [Help] Java Level Editor for 2D MMO

Posted 14 February 2014 - 09:51 AM

You would need to start with knowing how your levels and engine interact. What's the data structure that is your level? An array of some sort of number or object? Then it's a matter of keeping that structure in mind, creating game objects, serializing them, and having the game 'read' them when it loads.
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• Games, Graphs, and Auctions
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 14 February 2014 - 09:54 AM

So considering that i have little to no experience programming editors.

You're in way over your head. No offense. People with no programming experience will not succeed in making an MMO.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 14 February 2014 - 12:00 PM

View Postmacosxnerd101, on 14 February 2014 - 09:54 AM, said:

So considering that i have little to no experience programming editors.

You're in way over your head. No offense. People with no programming experience will not succeed in making an MMO.

Personally i have taken over 6 programming classes just not java . I have the experience with other languages just trying to learn one more so that i can sustain myself once i hit college. I am making an MMO so that my friends and i can have some fun showing off and just have fun because most of the games out there now-a-days are way too crowded and have too many hackers.

View Postmodi123_1, on 14 February 2014 - 09:51 AM, said:

You would need to start with knowing how your levels and engine interact. What's the data structure that is your level? An array of some sort of number or object? Then it's a matter of keeping that structure in mind, creating game objects, serializing them, and having the game 'read' them when it loads.

the levels will be the "playing field" for the engine. The engine loads by tiles ... of course... and as for file loading probably import a map or two from other games to the file format that i will have.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#5 modi123_1   User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 14 February 2014 - 01:13 PM

It's a 2-d array.. of what? Numbers representing tiles?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 14 February 2014 - 02:54 PM

View Postmodi123_1, on 14 February 2014 - 01:13 PM, said:

It's a 2-d array.. of what? Numbers representing tiles?

it will be actual photo documents made in gimp i believe so basically png or jpeg.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#7 modi123_1   User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 14 February 2014 - 03:06 PM

Okay then where does your 2d array come into it?

See this is the critical thinking part that can make or break the project... Think about this.. if your game's world was a 2d array of numbers.. and each number represented a picture.. then your game's engine would see '0' and know that was the dirt tile and draw that.. and '1' was the grass tile.. etc. See the maps are reduced to small integer arrays, the image assets are separate, and the world is a better place!
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 14 February 2014 - 03:14 PM

View Postmodi123_1, on 14 February 2014 - 03:06 PM, said:

Okay then where does your 2d array come into it?

See this is the critical thinking part that can make or break the project... Think about this.. if your game's world was a 2d array of numbers.. and each number represented a picture.. then your game's engine would see '0' and know that was the dirt tile and draw that.. and '1' was the grass tile.. etc. See the maps are reduced to small integer arrays, the image assets are separate, and the world is a better place!

oh i get what you meant about an array now :I sorry mind went blank for a sec sorry. So like in minecraft when you have id number per item i would be setting numbers per texture for each piece of terrain ... so like metadata per item?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#9 modi123_1   User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 14 February 2014 - 03:20 PM

Sure.. I mean in a 2d world you only have to worry about location being x/y, right? Simplifying what is a terrain piece from one another shouldn't be difficult.. it's basic enumeration 101. If you have a bulky or awkward set of objects just assign them numbers.. it makes comparison faster, look ups faster, etc.

http://docs.oracle.c...avaOO/enum.html
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 14 February 2014 - 04:01 PM

View Postmodi123_1, on 14 February 2014 - 03:20 PM, said:

Sure.. I mean in a 2d world you only have to worry about location being x/y, right? Simplifying what is a terrain piece from one another shouldn't be difficult.. it's basic enumeration 101. If you have a bulky or awkward set of objects just assign them numbers.. it makes comparison faster, look ups faster, etc.

http://docs.oracle.c...avaOO/enum.html

Makes sense now how would i start off this level editor ....
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 14 February 2014 - 04:55 PM

View PostEvansch0, on 14 February 2014 - 04:01 PM, said:

Makes sense now how would i start off this level editor ....

Opening your IDE would be a good place to start.

If you're expecting somebody to hold your hand through the process, I highly doubt anybody will. You can probably find some tutorials on making a 2d Level editor if you google around, which would likely give you an idea of where to start.

Realistically though, this is an extremely simple project compared to the other systems you'll be creating for an MMO project. If you're already having troubles figuring out where to start on something like this, you're definately not ready to develop an MMO. Maybe take a little bit of time to familiarize yourself with game development concepts by developing small single player games to start out with.

But basically, this is a quick rundown of "how you'd start". You define your map structure, create the GUI which plugs values into it, then saving and loading is basically just formatting and parsing(and knowing some basic file IO).

This post has been edited by Rhino1111: 14 February 2014 - 04:56 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 14 February 2014 - 05:05 PM

Thanks for the bluntness :P... but actually thats a pretty good start off for me to go off of thanks...

This post has been edited by andrewsw: 14 February 2014 - 05:10 PM
Reason for edit:: Removed previous quote

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1