4 Replies - 1690 Views - Last Post: 15 February 2014 - 10:53 PM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

A little push.

Posted 14 February 2014 - 04:21 PM

Hello everyone,

I'm am new to this forum, i joined because i needed a little push as for I am confused.
Ok so here goes, I started learning C++ and learned a very little amount a while ago, because some people suggested it to me. I left if for a while due to family business i had to attend to. Now i wanted to continue but i realized i wont be able to make the projects i want. I want to make a POS system for a pizzeria restaurant (just to remind you i only know the basics of c++ so far and a little web development knowledge like css, html. this is an example of my web skills though not much www.canadianfavoritepizza.com its not advertisement because its a location specific thing not to attract traffic for money or anything).
anyway i was wondering if i should drop c++ and learn java. because i want to get into android development also. so would it be better to learn java first and then continiue c++.
also because c++ is used for very heavy programming and requires more time to program because its close to assembly. from what ive read online.
anyway should i drop c++, and learn java. also because ui i heard is easier in java. thank you for your time guys.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: A little push.

• Beginner
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: A little push.

Posted 14 February 2014 - 05:00 PM

If what you want is a website and pos then you should just hire a programmer
If you want to learn to program, then java might be easier than c++, but you'll be at least a Year getting up to speed. You can buy what you need quicker and cheaper than making it
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 14 February 2014 - 07:20 PM

Stick with C++ since you've started IMO. But if you pretty much forgot everything, might as well go with Java if you want Android dev.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 14 February 2014 - 08:41 PM

I just wanted to say i do remember a bit. Recently i have made a simple txt database with ofstream and ifstream. I only started learning pointers when i quit. Also i wanted to know if itll conflict with what i have learnt. Any about the previous post. Most likely i will purchase a pos for the pizza shop. But i have spare time and could make one even after a year os so on my own . So increase my knowledge and experience. Also build some credibility and maybe i can go into programming job.
Thanks for the replies guys.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 15 February 2014 - 10:53 PM

No programming knowledge you gain will 'conflict', however different languages do things in different ways. This question gets asked all the time, all you need to do is pick up a book, any book, any language, and have a go.

Once you have become proficient in one language, any language, you will be in a much better position to evaluate other languages. If you leave your first language behind, that's ok, because you will learn different things from each language, and they are all important.

If you have a project in mind, just go for it. Learn things along the way. The more you learn, then better decisions you can make about where to go next, but nobody can learn it for you.

Java, C++, Python, etc ... it doesn't matter AT ALL which one you pick. Just pick one and stick with it.

For what it's worth, if you have future plans for Java (like Android), just go with it. If you hate it after a few months, pick something else.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1