6 Replies - 2558 Views - Last Post: 23 February 2014 - 09:27 PM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Can you code anything with any language?

Posted 19 February 2014 - 09:44 PM

My question, which may be stupid, is if you can code anything with any language?

There are certainly languages that are better than others for specific programs, but can you still get the same result in the end with any language?

How do you check which language you should use?

If you can't use any language, how do you choose which language to use before starting a specific project?

Thanks
Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Can you code anything with any language?

• Games, Graphs, and Auctions
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Can you code anything with any language?

Posted 19 February 2014 - 09:49 PM

Let me put it this way- by the time you're hitting the limitations of a language, you'll know it well enough to be able to scout out your options. For example, Java isn't the best tool for low-level work. If you're at the point where you want to do intense low-level work and your primary language is Java, you should in theory know Java well enough to know not to use it for low-level work.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Nero

• View blog

Posted 20 February 2014 - 05:36 AM

Honestly, languages are just tools. As with any job, and any tool, you want the right tool for the job. No sense bounding in nails with a buzz saw or mining doge with a nvidia. Different languages have different applications. Ruby on Rails is great for syndication, PHP is a good web-based language that you're not going to build self-containing applications in, Java is good for high level work but not particularly great for graphics (at least from my knowledge). That said - I run a website built in VB.NET, and one built in Java.

As you use a language you'll learn its strengths and weaknesses.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Dreaming Coder
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 20 February 2014 - 07:04 AM

Yes. Yes, I can. ;)

Right, most languages are considered general purpose. A truly general purpose language should be able to do anything on the OS you can think of. If it compiles, it's only limited by the OS.

However, many languages don't run directly against the OS. Java and .NET run via an abstraction layer, though .NET is a little looser about that. Python and others are more classic interpreted languages, requiring the interpreter to run, though not necessarily limited beyond that.

If you want to do something in a web browser, all the C in the world won't be half as useful to you as some nice Javascript. For web pages, other languages excel.

There is anything and then there's what that anything is inside of: Bare Metal, OS, Server, Browser, etc.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 21 February 2014 - 10:20 PM

Thanks for the replies guys. So if you're a beginner, how do you choose which language you're going to program a certain application with? Or do you just use the one you know best and truck through?

Thanks
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Dreaming Coder
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 22 February 2014 - 03:34 AM

What is the goal?

If the goal is the "learn programming" then the language isn't as important as you might think. What's important is the understanding of fundamental concepts. Once you have that foundation, learning any other programming language is trivial compared to learning that first one.

What kind of programs to you want to write?

Here, language plays a role. Your C# mastery is worth squat if you want to write an Android app. However, for Windows in general and even Windows mobile, anything .NET is the ideal choice.

If you are starting a new project, you tend to go to the known tool chest first. Of what you know, what makes the most sense to use? If you don't know anything well enough to make that call, then you look at what's being used. It might be time to learn something new.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 23 February 2014 - 09:27 PM

Thanks for the response baavgai!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1