I need advice on chosing between these 2 universities for doing My Bsc

• (2 Pages)
  • +

22 Replies - 3678 Views - Last Post: 11 March 2014 - 07:07 PM

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

I need advice on chosing between these 2 universities for doing My Bsc

Posted 03 March 2014 - 05:25 PM

Hi everyone I need help chosing where to do my final year Bsc degree I already have the advanced diploma in computing. Granted I have low pass rates and its not impressive at all.

But I could make up for all this slacking off in Final Year if I aim for first class honors.

At this link you are offered a Bsc in Computing and Information Systems from University of Greenwich.
Note its a lot of programming it seems but there is no maths involved.

http://www.sbcs.edu....ogramme/view/15

Courses
Core Courses

Final Project
Development Frameworks & Methods (July Semester)

Electives - Choose 5

Enterprise Web Software Development (January Semester)
Database Engineering (July Semester)
Information Technology Planning (January Semester)
Web Application Development (July Semester)
Information & Content Management (July Semester)
Interaction Design (January Semester)
Programming Frameworks (July Semester)
Application Development for Mobile Devices (January Semester)
Database Management & Administration (January Semester)

And to this link

http://www.samtt.com...iness-computing

and then course details you will get this

Part 3: London Metropolitan University B.Sc.(Hons) Business Computing

Semester 1

E-Business
Post Implementation Issues
Database Application Development
Major Project

Semester 2

E-Commerce Applications
Management Support Systems
Advanced Database Systems
Major Project

similarly you can go here

http://intranet.lond...g-%28Top-Up%29/

and read up about it. But the one from london met offered to us is a special one with 2 database parts, one thats database application development with Oracle Designer and other is Advanced Database Systems learning SQL etc.

the thing about it is Greenwich university is 1600 pounds and London Met is only 990. London met is a lot more cheaper but the one from Greenwich lets you do a ton more programming and maybe an employer would take you more seriously over others? maybe doing the greenwich will open more doors for me since its so much more difficult?

Or are all these Business IT degrees and either one would work since most Jobs offered locally here in the Caribbean is database anyways because there isn't any industry for computer science down here.

Maybe do the london met and get a Oracle Cert to back it up? I didn't like the name Business Computing Bsc. Sounds inferior to Uni of Greenwich Computing and Information Systems.

I need advice guys the Job market out there is tough. I am often told Experience would beat any degree so in the end either University would be just the same.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: I need advice on chosing between these 2 universities for doing My Bsc

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Re: I need advice on chosing between these 2 universities for doing My Bsc

Posted 04 March 2014 - 03:50 PM

What I wanna point out is the main aim of all this to get a Database related Job.

If you look at the cheaper London Met degree that I can afford you would see it has all the database curriculum you would need the rest would be Business and Management stuff.

So in the end its an easier Degree than Greenwich. But if you think about it aswell the Greenwich degree can grant you entry as a webmaster? because its Enterprise Web Development module is also found in their BEng in Software Engineering.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#3 andrewsw   User is online

• blow up my boots
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 04 March 2014 - 04:04 PM

Which has the better bar?

I apologise.. I couldn't resist! :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 04 March 2014 - 04:17 PM

Man was so excited when I got updated on my nexus 4 with a reply to this post.

So long have been waiting on a response and this is what I get. Really sucks

ow well maybe someone might help me decide.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 04 March 2014 - 07:00 PM

That was a fairly disappointing reply.

Look champ - there are things in the world that will require you.. YOU.. to make a decision. Trying to have folks on the intrawebz make it for you is a poor way of steering your own future.

Comparing the rankings of the school... talk to each guidance counselor and see if they have job placement stats on their graduates.. if they offer job placement help.. have connections with local businesses.. etc.

No on really knows who you are (seven posts and all), what you want to do, where you are, your dreams, your aspirations, or what your effort level is. I know folks that can take nothing but snow and sell it to an eskimo, and some that are given everything only to piss it away. That is to say they can take a perceived lesser degree (or hell - a degree in a different field) and spin it into something usable for a job.

Job markets are relative in locations, but easy to look up. Find local job boards, talk to folks in local IT groups, and network a bit. See what folks are looking for and what you really want to do.

Which one is best for you? Pffsst - I don't know, but I bet you do. Which one has more interesting classes? Which one piques your interest? If it's only a paper you are really looking for then add up your perceptions and cost and go from there.

At the end of the day the choice is yours.. you need to do the legwork to figure out what best suits you, your area, and where you want to be in one, five, and ten years. Again - I would highly suggest talking to school staff in the specific colleges you are looking at, talk with family, and see about doing some quick networking in the area and make a choice for yourself.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 04 March 2014 - 07:28 PM

Thanks a lot friend

I did that and asked some friends about it and they all agree that in the end all these degrees are just considered IT. A girl told me she uses very little in the real world in her Job from what she did in the Degree.

A guy told me I am better off doing the Cheaper Degree with london Met and focusing on Certs to compliment my Degree like Oracle OCA and Microsoft SQL, as this is a better trade off than doing the Greenwich Degree for so much more money.

I currently do security work as in Airline TSA security for $3 US an hour at American Airlines here in Trinidad, the Caribbean. But it gives me lots of free time to study and just barely enough to pay off for the Degree. I will greatly prefer to stick with this crappy Job until I have the Degree and then I can leave this current life behind for good. Quite a number of people I have spoken to, 2 of them from SITA the company that does IT for our Airport they both told me they got where they are without even a Degree. Just a couple certs and years of experience.

From all my research it seems Experience is what people look for down here. Experience and more Experience. I will investigate based on your advice some more. I think doing the cheaper London met uni is the best way to go because currently to do much better one would need lots of science subjects to be accepted into doing a totally different course like Mechanical Engineering and stuff. I am 28 years old and time is running out for me. I will have to stick with IT field from here on, Certs seem like the best bet along with the cheaper london met program as of now.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 04 March 2014 - 07:35 PM

Well yeah.. companies like experienced folk, but those are not the jobs you will be looking for off the bat.. green horn jobs and such..

I am 28 years old and time is running out for me. I will have to stick with IT field from here on,

I know folk who would disagree with you on that.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 04 March 2014 - 07:51 PM

My friend has told me repeatedly that I am too old to start over and spend 7 years to obtain a Bsc in Mechanical Engineering.
HE has said no one would hire me, and also I am not married and don't have a girl friend or anything like that and its a bit pathetic at 28 years old if you think about it when all my other school friends are now married etc.

Mechanical Engineering and Physics is my true passion, I long for it to be honest but at the current stage I must first complete this IT degree to find a better Job than my current $3 US an hour as TSA with American Airlines.

I have hopes and dreams of one day going back and doing Physics or Mech Eng its my greatest passion to be honest.

But for now I must complete this, simply because its just 1 more year to finish what I started.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 04 March 2014 - 07:57 PM

I will also admit one of the reasons I started along this path is because of the idea that you could freelance online for programming Jobs. Dunno what you guys think about that idea, its one of the biggest reasons I wanted to do the Programming Degree. But someone told me you don't need a Degree to learn to program you could learn it free online LOL
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 04 March 2014 - 07:58 PM

Again I have no idea about your area, or your friend, but that sounds like pretty douchie advice. The only thing I can say is - if you have a passion go for it.. why burn time off on some other tangent degree (that you don't seem jazzed for) when you are going to turn around and start another with all to show but time not doing what you really want to do.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 04 March 2014 - 08:25 PM

View Postjohn5220, on 04 March 2014 - 09:57 PM, said:

I will also admit one of the reasons I started along this path is because of the idea that you could freelance online for programming Jobs. Dunno what you guys think about that idea, its one of the biggest reasons I wanted to do the Programming Degree. But someone told me you don't need a Degree to learn to program you could learn it free online LOL

.....You CAN learn programming free online. In fact, I'd argue most here did. If you want to just freelance, get a Cert or two, learn some languages, work your day job and freelance on the side until it becomes a full-fledged business.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 04 March 2014 - 10:11 PM

Hey thanks

any particular reason for me to pick the greenwich program with the major in software engineering if this is the case?

Meaning will the Graduate Level provide something in school that cannot be obtained here online? considering there is no maths?

I am thinking since I am learning this might aswell do the Bsc with it LOL who knows might look nice on the resume.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 06 March 2014 - 04:35 PM

Just want to let you guys know I did as modi suggested and asked around I have a friend who is a consultant at a local IT company. He let me come into the office today to have a look at how the real world works and what I have found is that no one with the Computing degrees be it the Business Computing or the CIS are employed in the programming field there.

They hire almost 99% of their Programmers who are graduates of University of the West Indies. Basically UWI is the MIT of the Caribbean so to speak.

They have 0 IT courses there. They offer from Bsc to Msc and I think Phd in either Computer Science or Computer and Electrical Engineering. Both of which seem to have advanced mathematics. And those who have computing degrees don't seem to last 1 month at this company in the programming field there neither. The field of advanced Database Programming seems to be too much for people who has done mostly Business in IT degrees.

But what I would like to believe is its all about what an individual is willing to do. I think that an individual who is dedicated strong enough can be just as good of a programmer in Databases and Java all on their own. Because the Jobs they have locally in Programming are not super hard stuff like what you would find in Game development. They are just complex Databases of which I do not believe is limited to people with Computer Engineering degrees. What I believe is those who have done the COmputing Degrees picked the easy way out.
Granted they don't offer us the Artificial Intelligence module down here there are still lots of programming modules like the Mobile Application Development etc But its optional you can do that or crappy business modules that does not help you in a technical field.

SO I have a question for you guys. Does Advanced Database Development for complex businesses require true computer science skills?
What exactly about Computer Science and Electrical and Computer Engineering makes people a superior programmer and suited for database jobs that others with computing can't do?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 06 March 2014 - 06:15 PM

University of the West Indies. Basically UWI is the MIT of the Caribbean so to speak.

They have 0 IT courses there.

Really? Zero? That is not what I am seeing.

http://sta.uwi.edu/f....asp#bsccompsci

And those who have computing degrees don't seem to last 1 month at this company in the programming field there neither. The field of advanced Database Programming seems to be too much for people who has done mostly Business in IT degrees.

Explain this..

Because the Jobs they have locally in Programming are not super hard stuff like what you would find in Game development.

I am not sure why game dev is the bar for hard, but okay.

They are just complex Databases of which I do not believe is limited to people with Computer Engineering degrees.

In theory - it should. Databases, management, etc are better off with someone compsci-ish versus a poetry major.

What I believe is those who have done the COmputing Degrees picked the easy way out.

Easy way out of what?

Does Advanced Database Development for complex businesses require true computer science skills?

I am not sure what you mean by 'complex', but again - see my statement above.

What exactly about Computer Science and Electrical and Computer Engineering makes people a superior programmer and suited for database jobs that others with computing can't do?

Typically it would be due to knowing the actual science of a byte, the theory of data flow, and how the data will/can be used.

http://www.skorks.co...uter-scientist/

http://matt-welsh.bl...er-science.html
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 07 March 2014 - 03:10 PM

I meant IT not Computer Science but you are right none the less because from the link you posted it does have IT here

http://sta.uwi.edu/f...emics_ug_it.asp

I meant how people claim anyone can do a IT degree because its in reality more business than engineering and maths so supply and demand plays in.

Easy way out I meant doing Majors in IT management compared to selecting the Software Engineering Major. From the link I posted to SBCS you would see which ones are programming and which are not. Refer to my first post.

I read a forum where one guy said that IT people are a joke. And that was the reason OP could not get a Job with his computing degree. The person said no one is going to hire someone who went to university for 3 years and did his final project using MS Access with a simple internet guide.

However since computing degrees how focus strongly on oracle database design I do not believe that its any longer a Joke. I mean don't people with MBA get Jobs as database administrators? I have great fear that doing these degrees would be a waste of my time and money if I don't get a Job with it. But then again only one way to find out right? Because a IT degree is sufficient to get a IT job down here because there is no industry for serious programming Jobs.

All the Jobs are usually Networking and Databases.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (2 Pages)
  • +