3 Replies - 1567 Views - Last Post: 05 March 2014 - 06:38 PM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

What language to use for desktop software

Posted 05 March 2014 - 01:58 PM

Hi,
I am wanting to create some desktop software that requires interaction with a database and possibly work alongside a mobile app which hopefully will work on 3 platforms iOS, Android and Blackberry this app will have access to the database the desktop software uses

I haven't done anything like this before and would like to know what would be the ideal language to design the desktop software in? I have some experience with Java and PHP however I don't think either are suited for the task given that PHP is web language and Java desktop programs are dead (annoying given its cross-platform)

Does anyone have any thoughts on what I should use?

Thank you

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: What language to use for desktop software

• Xamarin Cert. Dev.
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: What language to use for desktop software

Posted 05 March 2014 - 02:09 PM

This is begging to be a "which language is best" topic war.

Now days most modern languages can do about all the same, just different.

Do you plan on running this in Windows? C#
Do you plan on running this on a Mac? Objective-C
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 05 March 2014 - 02:57 PM

The priority at the moment I feel is a Microsoft Windows based program then the mobile app and after that if there is a demand a desktop version for OS X
Is there a single language that would make all this possible? or at least the starting language for the Windows software being easiest to port to the mobile realm and OS X further down the line?

I am willing to learn a new language if its necessary to accomplish my task but the less complicated the better. I have done the odd bit in VB.NET and command line bits and bobs in C# years ago but none of those needed a database to store inputs from a GUI. I have done work with JDBC and Java but it lacks the ability to run natively on Windows althoug not a huge issue it may be a problem when the end user doesn't have Java installed.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Xamarin Cert. Dev.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 05 March 2014 - 06:38 PM

Is there a single language that would make all this possible?

No.

Please don't be mad when I say: If you have to ask that, then you really aren't ready to be doing this project. If your experience with coding is so little that you aren't familiar with which languages are for which computer then you should anticipate at least a year to learn a language and the foundation concepts that would let you architect the design of the application. For now there isn't a lot of point in trying to create this specific program: You simply don't know yet how much you don't know.

or at least the starting language for the Windows software being easiest to port to the mobile realm and OS X further down the line?

C# is depends on the Microsoft .NET framework. There is a project called 'mono' that ports that framework to other operating systems. So you could probably do quite a lot in that direction. But there is no guarantee that everything you'll need will be available in mono. If you are dependent on really tight integration with the video card for example such as in a game software then you really need to write in the native language for the OS.

• I might suggest getting deep into C#. That will at least get you solid experience in Windows developer which you say is preferred starting point.
  • Then go from the desktop environment to dealing with web services, still in C#.
  • Then you could roll out a first mobile version in WindowsPhone since it is the same .NET framework. That gets you transitioned to a mobile device.
  • Then you can worry about other OSes when you've learned all that, that picking up other C-ish languages like Objective-C won't be such an ordeal.

But to start with, don't try to design or even code a first version of this app. Not until you have worked at least 5 "Learn C# in a month" type books from cover to cover.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1