5 Replies - 1947 Views - Last Post: 19 March 2014 - 06:56 AM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Help with direction for a small project

Posted 18 March 2014 - 09:35 AM

Hello, I'm very new to all of this coding adventure. I have experience with Sql. I am currently playing around inside Visual Studios trying to learn XAML and C#. I have currently already made two small cheesy Apps for Windows 8 Phone. I also plan on starting courses this summer for C++,C#.

I work at a Health Care for the Homeless in ABQ, we would like to be able to take a laptop out in the field with us and be able collect two Text boxes, Date and Geographic Coordinates. This would be via a VPN/RDP session.

My question is what is the best direction to create a desktop program that would collect 4 data points and send that to SQL Server?

There is no deadline for this project, just something we have been dreaming about. I have plenty of time to learn whatever needs to be learned. I am just trying to find the best path.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Help with direction for a small project

#2 modi123_1   User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Help with direction for a small project

Posted 18 March 2014 - 09:48 AM

Assuming you have some sort of wireless connection - host the database on a some web accessible host or server.. Make your app with your four textboxes.. when submit is clicked the app calls out to the web service, coughs up the four pieces of data, and the web service records it to the database.
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 18 March 2014 - 10:01 AM

Thanks for the reply kind sir!

Yes, we use Veriozon MIFI to gain Internet Access. We even chart in our EHR out in the field. We just wanted to add these extra data points for a special report.

I will start researching about web service. Thanks for the suggestions.

Thomas
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 18 March 2014 - 03:38 PM

If you want to go all out...

Start digging into the Web Feature Services - Transaction protocol (WFS-T) it allows the real-time edit and update of
GIS information that you can then perform spatial queries on. I personally run a PostgreSQL server with PostGIS plugin with GeoServer on a LAMP stack, that sales-people at my company use in the field to record potential land development locations.

I simply have a web application the sales people access, the page gets the phone's GPS coordinates and any form data, posts that to GeoServer via WFS-T and then passes that to PostgreSQL. I then later on can retrieve that data using ArcGIS(propriety & expensive) or QuantumGIS(FOSS) desktop software, and correct mistakes, perform analysis and even add spatial data manually.

Just to warn you the rabbit hole for Geospatial Information Systems gets deep fast, and may be overkill for you project.
GeoServer WFS-T
WFS Standards

GIS Stackexchange

Another direction to take the project if you are interested.
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 18 March 2014 - 04:53 PM

View PostRHicks, on 18 March 2014 - 03:38 PM, said:

I
I simply have a web application the sales people access, the page gets the phone's GPS coordinates and any form data, posts that to GeoServer via WFS-T and then passes that to PostgreSQL. I then later on can retrieve that data using ArcGIS(propriety & expensive) or QuantumGIS(FOSS) desktop software, and correct mistakes, perform analysis and even add spatial data manually.

Just to warn you the rabbit hole for Geospatial Information Systems gets deep fast, and may be overkill for you project.

Another direction to take the project if you are interested.

Very cool dude, that sounds like a awesome gig you got there and very similar to what I will eventually be looking at down the road. Thanks for the resources. I have the Sql Server 2012 Spatial Data book on my desk. Love, love maps, I'm such a nerd with maps and geography that I have several posted in my office including a 6'X4' map of Middle Earth!

I will definitely be checking out the info you provided, thanks again!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 19 March 2014 - 06:56 AM

Sure thing.

Well if you love maps and computers like me and it seems you do, check your local institutions for GIS programs. There is plenty of room for coding (both web and desktop), creativity (designing maps), problem solving (route finding), and you can play with some very expensive and very cool hardware.

But you can get started by doing some reading. Now I came out of school with some GIS experience prior to it becoming my occupation, so I have prior knowledge but this page seems to be a good start for learning more.
GIS Lounge

Anita writes a lot about FOSS GIS tech but I consider her an expert and she is quite active on the GIS SE.
http://anitagraser.com/

Also, so you know. ESRI ArcGIS is the big player in the field and a lot of readings with reference and guide you using it. You can get a 30-day trial from ESRI but most GIS software have similar interfaces, QuantumGIS does certainly, and most have identical workflows. In college I simple worked with Arc at school and QGIS at home and never had a problem, so you can start your project with practically no money in hand.
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1