1 Replies - 911 Views - Last Post: 22 March 2014 - 11:58 PM Rate Topic: -----

#1 modi123_1   User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

[link] Epic radically changes licensing model for Unreal Engine

Posted 19 March 2014 - 10:09 AM

I don't know who is using Unreal, but the free version is going away with UE4 and being replaced with a 19/month subscription.

Now, "absolutely anybody can gain access to Unreal Engine 4 by subscribing to the engine for 19 dollars a month -- and you get access to everything," said Sweeney. By paying that fee, developers can "deploy to PC, Mac, iOS, and Android -- all those platforms today, and more coming in the future."

But there's a cost to shipping a commercial game under the new terms: "5 percent of the game's gross revenue from product sales to users," said Sweeney.

Of note, he clarified that the "5 percent royalty terms apply to gross revenue to users from all aspects of the game, that would include the sale price of the game if it has one, in-game item revenue, and ad revenue."

"With that model, if our product sucks, nobody is ever going to pay for it," Sweeney said -- meaning that adopting this model forces the company to make sure Unreal stays a competitive toolset. "We're driven by the economics of the world ... to determine that the terms are fair," he also added.

Notably, he said, "everyone who subscribes to the engine gets access to the engine's C++ source code," which will be distributed to subscribers via GitHub. Anyone who pays $19 a month gets "access to everything we have at Epic when we develop our games internally."

"It's a bold step for Epic but we think it's an appropriate one given the changes to the game industry," Sweeney said. "It's grown into an open and democratic" place, he noted, and Epic has been forced to change to adapt to that.

This also means that the free, binary-only UDK version of Unreal, popular with students in particular, is being discontinued for UE4.

www.gamasutra.com/view/news/213517/Epic_radically_changes_licensing_model_for_Unreal_Engine.php

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 1
  • +

Replies To: [link] Epic radically changes licensing model for Unreal Engine

• Dovakiin, Dragonborn
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: [link] Epic radically changes licensing model for Unreal Engine

Posted 22 March 2014 - 11:58 PM

I plan on grabbing this this week. I think it will be fun to play around with and see what's involved with a commercial engine. $19 a month is a nice price to pay for playing around with a high-engine and 5% of profits is really not that bad considering Unreal Engine 3 or UDK royalties percentage. I've been reading over the documentation for the Unreal Editor and the programming aspects, and I must say, I am really looking forward to playing around with it, and hopefully pursuing it into a bigger project.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1