5 Replies - 1357 Views - Last Post: 30 March 2014 - 02:29 AM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Language Disorder Affects not only school, but in general.

Posted 27 March 2014 - 10:05 PM

Hello, I haven't been in dreamincode for a long time because I was asking for programming help, which I couldn't get much help since my language disability affects me to get answer what I'm looking for. But anyway, I really need advices and second opinion. I have been diagnosed with learning disability since I was a kindergarten. My problem is mainly with language disorder, which is expressive and receptive disorder. Let me give you some examples. When I'm at school, I'm expected to be in lecture and ask questions if you don't understand, but the problem for me is how to ask questions when it comes to language barrier and cannot find an answer that I'm looking for. This is not only happen in school, but in general, and I got myself in trouble because I misunderstood, and I felt guilty about myself. Let me tell you that I'm struggling with language and able to do critical thinking and analysis, which is require for future uses. I'm also struggling with writing essays which took me alot of time, but I couldn't get a good score. It took me 3 times to pass intro to college writing. First time and second time, I got a D, and third time I barely made with a C. During the spare time, I mainly stay home, go out myself or with my parents. I don't have any friends to hang out or to talk to with the same interests as me. I also have almost no experience in girls because of my language disorder. I don't drink nor a party person. Most of the time, I usually talk to people just about school work.

Another thing I want to tell you that I failed an english 6th grade high school exit exam twice until the third time I barely passed. Right now, I'm in University of California Irvine after I stay in community college for 4 years. Now you may be asking, what kept me in school? The answer is math. Math is only one that gives me a big help on succeeding, but there are things that I don't like is word problems because you know it, language.

In community college I didn't know what major I want to be until I took circuits class and I end up doing well. So I decided to be electrical engineering. However, what worries me is that I'm struggling with programming alot because my thinking and language skills are my weakness.

So do you have second opinion on what I can do? I couldn't spend time on reading textbooks to learn because I get confused easily by language. I'm sorry that I kind of mixing everything up because it took me a long time just to write a short paragraph, but I just need advice on what I should do about it.

Thanks

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Language Disorder Affects not only school, but in general.

• member icon

• View blog

Re: Language Disorder Affects not only school, but in general.

Posted 27 March 2014 - 10:38 PM

So do you have second opinion on what I can do?

You mean what I would do in your shoes? I'd talk to my parents and guidance counselor and possibly teachers to identify a solution to the situation. What else is there to do? You may have difficulty communicating but this post is here detailing your issues so just show them that. You can just print it out and show them. You already did the hard part of communicating everything.

I hope you get things worked out.
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 27 March 2014 - 10:57 PM

Yeah, I already done that though, but its just things didn't work out. So right now, I'm on my own and still haven't expect an improvement on language and thinking skills. So, I guess I'm in danger when it comes to getting a job because english is holding me back?

This post has been edited by blackbyron: 27 March 2014 - 11:04 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Nero

• View blog

Posted 28 March 2014 - 05:32 AM

You're able to convey your thoughts, and you don't seem to lack for knowledge. I'm glad to hear you're good at math, because that gives a different approach. This was something a professor of mine told me that changed the way I look at math, when I was struggling. I wound up exiting Calculus 1 & 2 with As because of this. Think of programming like math. Programming languages are much closer to mathematics than to spoken languages. My professor told me to think of math like coding - the X and Y are just variables. Turn it around - everything you do in programming is a mathematical operation of one sort or another.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 29 March 2014 - 04:55 PM

in your situation, I'd really try to learn a very different foreign language, because the act of identifying and attempting to understand the differences between concepts will help you understand both languages better, and a more solid grasp of the concepts (and how they are arranged, and the specific meanings in different arrangements) will give you better tools for examining the ideas behind the things you want to say.

I'd also turn to literature and historical bodies of expression- great speeches from history, great works of literature, even great stories from today. You'll learn more from exposure than from the lack of it, and the more great examples you have to examine, the more you'll have to work with. It almost doesn't matter what the source is, as long as you can understand the message. Some of my personal favorites are the Great Dictator speech by Charlie Chaplain, The Brothers Karamazov, Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy, the Discworld series of books, the Song of Ice and Fire novels, and a surprising amount of stuff by Christopher Hitchens and Shakespeare. The idea isn't to find something you agree with, but to find ideas that are expressed well, and to learn from the expression of those ideas.
Was This Post Helpful? 4
  • +
  • -

• Dreaming Coder
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 30 March 2014 - 02:29 AM

POPULAR

Welcome to the land of geek. We often express ourselves... differently. ;)

Math is a language; it expresses ideas and concepts in symbols. I totally agree with the foreign language idea. Again, find another avenue to express ideas and concepts in symbols. And don't bother with a language that feeds into English, that's not out there enough. Japanese is a fun language; they speak like Yoda (if you ever look into it, you'll understand) and have cool cartoons.

Read. Read a lot. Read some more. Turn off the media feed and find a good book. Language is merely a repetition of pattern. If you can find a writer whose style matches your brain, then you have source material for improving you comprehension.

Understand that a "disorder"... Disorder? What the fuck kind of word is that to give someone? Right. A learning disability of any kind really means that you brain different than average. To be honest, many many computer programmers fall into this category, with lots of shades of autism, among other things.

So, not normal? Then it's up to you to devise ways to deal with processing your world. You've dealt with this so far. You will continue to deal. If you can find others with similar problems, they may have come up with helpful tricks. If not, you don't get a pass. You're smart and can find ways to overcome whatever your issue is. Don't let such issues become you; you're bigger than that.
Was This Post Helpful? 7
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1