1 Replies - 1301 Views - Last Post: 31 March 2014 - 05:28 PM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Going to graduate school, and I have nothing to do for 4-5 months

Posted 31 March 2014 - 05:10 PM

Hello,

I graduated with a computer science degree, and have recently applied and gotten accepted to graduate school. I have tried to find work for the next 4-5 months related to software development, but have not had much luck doing so. After graduate school, I plan to go into industry. I have no professional software development experience, and outside of school, I have not worked on any projects either. At this point I consider myself an average programmer, but I lack knowledge and experience with software design such as (unit tests, refactoring ect...) which I never had to use in school. Since it is looking rather dim for finding job prospects that last 4-5 months, what can I do for the next 4-5 months that will improve my prospects for the future such as books I can read, projects I can attempt ect...?

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Going to graduate school, and I have nothing to do for 4-5 months

• Games, Graphs, and Auctions
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Going to graduate school, and I have nothing to do for 4-5 months

Posted 31 March 2014 - 05:28 PM

Do something you're passionate about. Do you love cryptography? Do crypto related projects. Do you love bioinformatics? Become the bioinformatics guy. You get better at programming by doing. As software developers, we're required to know more than just coding. So why not learn something you love alongside improving your development skills?

I'd also check the listings in your area to see the desired languages/technologies. No use learning C++ if all the jobs in your area are Java jobs (not to knock C++).
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1