5 Replies - 1487 Views - Last Post: 05 April 2014 - 11:58 AM

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Hesitant to release open-source project?

Posted 03 April 2014 - 08:02 AM

I want to release something I'm coding as open-source, once I'm done. But I'm always paranoid that someone will go on my site and grab the source of it, and claim it as theirs. Then try to say that I copied it from them.
Is there a way to guarantee prevention of this?
Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Hesitant to release open-source project?

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Hesitant to release open-source project?

Posted 03 April 2014 - 08:08 AM

Put it out on a open repo, give it an open license, and be done with it?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 03 April 2014 - 08:54 AM

My friend internet is a community where many things happen. Many people sell softwares for free which are shareware or are not free.You cant say or demand to someone that it is yours and fight for it . But another thing can be done to reduce such type of experiences Whenever you upload softwares upload them on the sites which assure you with intellectual property rights of your software. My friend if someone copies your softare or take the credit for software then what would it mean? It means your software is good. My friend never make a software for earning popularities. Do you know what open source means? it means code is available to all. Dont think everything in a negative way. think positively. How many people would be beniffited by your project. Ultimately you will become famous. my friend if anyone copies the source and says it is his then you should know how to defend yourself. its your software. if you have made it sincerely then you will be able to defend yourselves. you will be able to prove yourself. you would not know that there are many crucial points in your program which you only know that is the strongest point you have with you . Feel free to publish, be confident. Whenever you do a task there are always some risks but you shold know how to face them
BEST OF LUCK
IF YOU HAVE MADE IT THEN YOU ARE ONLY THEOWNER REMEMBER THAT
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Senior Systems Engineer
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 03 April 2014 - 08:55 AM

Does it matter considering you want it as open source? As modi said, throw it on github and it is you project, and others can contribute.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Xamarin Cert. Dev.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 03 April 2014 - 06:02 PM

There is no way to guarantee anything - especially on the internet. The sooner you accept that the better.

Microsoft, Apple and Adobe can't guarantee people won't crack/copy/pirate their commercial software and they have hundreds if not thousands of developers working for them. If they can't lock down their stuff you can be sure you're not going to find a magic bullet to lock down yours.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 05 April 2014 - 11:58 AM

Thank you everyone, I went ahead and released it! :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1