2 Replies - 1417 Views - Last Post: 11 April 2014 - 10:34 PM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Help setting up a portfolio

Posted 07 April 2014 - 09:11 AM

Hi there! I graduated college last year in May and, so far, have yet to snag a programming job. I've had countless interviews but nothing ever transpired. I think my biggest reason for that is not having any type of portfolio ready. Pretty much all of my projects have been school related, I really haven't done much on my own (I find I always have trouble coming up with ideas of things to program or I see the project as way too advanced for me and never even try to start it). I was just wondering where I can go to maybe work on some open-source stuff or maybe a site where I can look up start-up companies in my area and see if I can get my foot in the door that way. This weekend, I plan on making a website for my portfolio, just to have something up and running. Besides that, I'm working on learning Unity with some friends and we plan on making a simple puzzle game. Any advice for me for starting up the portfolio? Should I spruce up some school projects (like maybe put them into a GUI and make them a bit more advanced?) or work on totally new things? Thank you very much! :)

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Help setting up a portfolio

#2 modi123_1   User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Help setting up a portfolio

Posted 07 April 2014 - 09:18 AM

I really haven't done much on my own (I find I always have trouble coming up with ideas of things to program or I see the project as way too advanced for me and never even try to start it).

I can't help with you not starting project, but we do have a solid project lists sets:

Project Ideas

Martyr2 Mega Project List

I was just wondering where I can go to maybe work on some open-source stuff

Sure.. or have code on a public repository like github.

or maybe a site where I can look up start-up companies in my area and see if I can get my foot in the door that way.

That's always an option, but (in my experience) start ups are not looking for folk who are stymied on where to start. Typically overly enthusiastic, overly caffeinated, and free to burn a whole mess of hours in a week so hitting the ground running is key. Mileage may vary depending on location.

Any advice for me for starting up the portfolio?

Be clear about your project work, resume, and links to any sort of online repository of work you have done or open source you have contributed to.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Tired.
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Help setting up a portfolio

Posted 11 April 2014 - 10:34 PM

Don't be afraid of doing work for less $$ than you desire. You don't have any experience but the knowledge to accomplish them, I did multiple website for next to nothing when I first started before I got my first web gig. But even though I knew I was doing them at bargain prices that work allowed me to add to my knowledge, portfolio and most importantly gave a contact for my future employers to call. Knowing a language is great and all, but showing that you are able to take an idea from a client, respect them but also steer them in the direction that is best for their time, budget, and quality is something that will be highly valued.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1