• +
  • « First

204 Replies - 21054 Views - Last Post: 17 May 2018 - 06:24 PM

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Mechanical Keyboards

Posted 02 February 2018 - 02:40 PM

Maybe just one button that is programmed to be my ban hammer.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Beginner
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 02 February 2018 - 02:54 PM

View Postbingy, on 02 February 2018 - 04:39 PM, said:

I can so see Modi making a huge keyboard out of about 126 of these

I want the really big ones, so I could re-enact Don Marquis' archy and mehitabel scenario
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Code herder
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 06 February 2018 - 05:08 PM

If the button is 4 times bigger, is the actuation force also 4 times stronger?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 25 February 2018 - 11:14 AM

View PostSkydiver, on 06 February 2018 - 05:08 PM, said:

If the button is 4 times bigger, is the actuation force also 4 times stronger?

Probably not, unless perhaps the keys are heavier, because they would have the same distance to bottom out regardless of the height of the key itself.

My favourite mechanical keyboard is the Matias Mini Quiet Pro. I have used the tactile version for a while but my god, they pierce the ears! Probably the loudest mechanical keyboard I've ever used, beside the Unicomp keyboards.

This post has been edited by bastones: 25 February 2018 - 11:17 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Programming Theoretician
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 25 February 2018 - 11:40 AM

So it has been quite some time since I bought my Corsair RGB K70 and still use it and love it. I can tell I am going to be on this thing until the switches eventually break. :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Code herder
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 25 February 2018 - 11:55 AM

As I recall, one of the "features" of the Cherry switches is that you don't need to bottom out to actuate the switch. It's what makes these switches typists' dream. Irecall when my mom first let me use her electric typewriter where I barely had to push down on the keys as opposed to her manual typewriter where I had to bottom out to get the arm to swing unto the ribbon and paper.

force = mass * acceleration

mass = density * volume

acceleration = distance / time2

The volume will increase by about 4*4*4, but we can likely not truly be cubed since it'll be mostly hollow space and the support structure internally does have to scale up 1:1 since ABS is such a strong material. Let's say instead of the mass being cubed, it only tripled.

With that much more mass to keep suspended by spring against gravity. The question is how powerful is the original spring and how much of that force was used to keep the keycap up vs. used to present resistance for feedback. Will the spring used for the bigger keycap maintain the same ratio or will the ratio be modified so that you get some "gravity assist" to help overcome the inertia of the key at rest when the key is pushed down, at the same time provide the tactile feedback of the resistance on the way down until the actuation point, and then on the way back up.

Sorry... Geeking out and over thinking this novelty switch. :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• The Noid
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 26 February 2018 - 09:56 AM

As I recall, one of the "features" of the Cherry switches is that you don't need to bottom out to actuate the switch. It's what makes these switches typists' dream.

That is what sold me so quickly after buying my first mechanical (it's a DAS and I think it has blues, but I'm not positive). It took a little practice, but you can practically "brush" the keys, as opposed to pressing them - it doesn't eliminate the bottleneck between brain and fingertips, but it noticeably reduces it.

I noticed that my spelling seemed to get worse initially. Some of it was just additional fat-fingering and out-of-order characters due to the increased speed, but I also realized that I had been sort of "lazy-loading" my internal dictionary while I typed - I was using visual feedback of how the word looked as I typed to find the right spelling, but pushing up over 100 WPM with my mechanical forced me to be more deliberate and engage the spelling process up front. Sort of an interesting side-effect of increased typing speed.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Programming Theoretician
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 26 February 2018 - 03:14 PM

Well they actually say the cherry MX blue switches are for typists because of the tactile bump that provides physical feedback. The reds apparently actually have no bump and actuate down all the way which often causes the heavy typists to bottom out quite fast. The reds are good though for the points made about registering the key part way down... hence why they are the gamer's switch choice. If you mash keys and still want the style of red, then blacks are for you.

My keys are actually MX browns so very much middle of the road and provides a bit of a bump without the clickiness of the blues. My typing style however would have me repeating every other key if I was on reds.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 17 May 2018 - 04:35 PM

So I know people are already going to hate me for this... but I tried out quite a few different switches/boards from friends/stores, owned keyboards with Cherry browns, Outemu blues.. but I found both of them to be quite "meh". Until I came across this Razer keyboard with green switches which somehow I instantly fell in love with (I've tried Cherry Blues before, but felt inferior). Now I have a Razer Blackwidow Chroma V2 and is my favorite keyboard yet! Don't always listen to the people on the internet and try them out yourselves!
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Code herder
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 17 May 2018 - 06:24 PM

Also different switches for different purposes. For me, I like continuous smooth feel with relatively strong springs for gaming, but weak springs with clicky feedback for coding and general typing.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (14 Pages)
  • +
  • « First